Google is not helping, what is this. Lint seed, ring with an eye on it, Z z symbol on door. anyone who knows about religious rituals?

I went to the ER/ fastrack clinic last night, and a lady there pulled me aside, told me that I had a negitive energy and she wanted to help me.  She wrote what looks like a big Z and and small z sideways, and told me to hang it on my door.  She than gave me lint seeds?? *she had an accent, I think she said lint, maybe lent?*, and told me to put them in my purse at midnight.  She told me to get a ring or necklace with an eye on it.    What is this?  I tried researching, and I can't find out. 

kaileymom79

Asked by kaileymom79 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• A piece of jewelry with an eye painted or enamelled on it is an evil-eye talisman. It is to prevent attack by a negative person or to protect you from someone casting an evil eye spell and it is considered good luck. The markings appear to be celtic runes, the large one indicating difficulties and the smaller indicating victory and success. Linseed is an herb of protection, often used in medicine bags. She wasn't trying to harm you.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• linseed also known as flax seed or mustard seed used for clearing negative energy and protection
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 12:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Well, the one on the left vaguely looks like a reversed rune turned sideways-- it's really blurry though so it's hard to tell. The seed is possibly a linseed. I know linseed oil is often used to cure and stain carved wood or burned wood runes. . . but i don't know why she would give you just the seeds to my knowledge they don't have much magical purpose, though I will be the first to say that I could be wrong. To me, sounds like she's either full of shit or trying too hard.
    meganbearden

Answer by meganbearden at 1:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• its a flax seed or linseed
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 12:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• the eye with the circle rejects negative energy as far as I know
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 1:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• What she wrote on the paper looks like runes but im not sure what ones they are. I havnt studdied them that much but ill try to ask a friend of mine. He knows a lot about those. Not sure about the necklace or the seed....ill see what I can find out for you.
    Anonymous

• Could you tell what kind of accent she had... this sounds a little more like magic from the african diaspora or islands, definitely folk. A better idea of where she may have been from would be helpful to dissect her intent and what she was trying to do. Anything you can give us would be helpful. The eye however was probably a ward for the evil eye...which in my experience those always have a reverse effect on me and my mother..when we carry an eye we see more bad things happen. Sygils are also very varied from person to person..some have an entire word in them put together just so.. others have symbols...not sure on that one..its not very in depth.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 2:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Sounds like she was trying to be helpful. The markings look like runes or at least in Celtic descent. If what she gave you doesn't jive with your beliefs it is perfectly ok to let her know that you respect her culture but you have your own as well. I do the same thing when people "pray" I find God. I simply say I respect their beliefs but I am very comfortable in my path.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Scam? I had to re-read my answer and I can't see where I mentioned a scam or maybe it is my wording. But no I was saying she is being kind.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If your home gets broken into, you know who to point the police at. Scam as in a confidance scam. Two person job, one sets the marks, which would be you, the other works in the office and gets the addresses. You putting the paper on your door double marks you as the right place to hit.

Or the woman is nuts. I would never walk up to a stranger and say what that woman did. Spiritual or magical, it doesn't matter. You just don't do that. And a person who does should not be trusted. Why are you so trusting with her? Are you this trusting with everyone?
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2011