How Can I Get My 3yo. To Pay Attention When It Comes Down To Schoolwork?

My three year old son is in preschool, his attention span is very short. In school the teacher says that he only does what he wants to do, and with through a tantrim if it does not go his way. He is a very hypper child that does everything under the sun to keep from doing homework and other learning activities. PLEASE HELP! FED UP MOM

Quitta813

Asked by Quitta813 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are you joking? 3? What kind of schoolwork? A three year old doesn't sit well. Please get the book "Your Three Year Old". I will try to be nice. Three year olds should be playing playdoh, finger paint, slime, in mud ect. They should NOT be doing writing UNLESS they are already capable of it. They should be listening to stories and making up stories with you. They should be playing on the playground and exercising with various activities. What exactly do you expect from a 3 year old??
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Is this a joke???? A three year old doing homework? I am speechless that you and that idiotic teacher are expecting homework from a three year old.....this is a joke right?
    3kidz4me

Answer by 3kidz4me at 11:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I really would like to know what kind of work is expected of your child. Please. Because it may not be age appropriate. We are (as a society) expecting our young children to be capable of doing things they aren't ready for and are driving our kids too young to become overachievers. Be very careful of this.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My son does 'work' at school. I dont know if OP has her kid in montessori, but in a structure like that, playtime is work and is focused.
    I know they also do counting and shape/color sorting.
    He is 2.

However, if this is a head start type program, those arent always perfect for every child. Homework is strange. What kind of homework?
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 12:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Keep in mind that he has 13 years of "sit and listen", "do it this way", flashcards, tests, and homework ahead of him. If he doesn't enjoy his early experience with school, how will you overcome his dislike of school? These early years are critical and they need to be enjoyable. He needs to learn through play. Yes, he needs to learn to sit still and listen, to follow along with a group activity but that should be in small doses, working up to longer stretches by the time he is in kindergarten.
    Consider putting him in a different school. One that works WITH him, helps him learn to sit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• We teach them to sit still and listen, then send them to work and tell them "GET UP AND MOVE!"
    Life is confusing.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• make it a game
    thelook151

Answer by thelook151 at 3:37 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• The attention span of a 3 year old is quite short, especially if the lesson is not interesting enough to capture the attention of the child. Keep in mind that lessons should not exceed 15 minutes. The teacher should plan accordingly. Thank God your 3 year old is active and normal.!
    Preschool is about developing fine motor skills, (as well as large mortor skills), so much of the work is fun centered and may involve finger painting, learning to use glue, and crayons or sorting beans etc.. Home work may be an extension of a lesson from school. A teacher may attempt parental involvement by requesting that parents read a particular story-book to the child for 15 minutes or help the child connect letter sounds to items found in the home
    duchess29

Answer by duchess29 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2008