9 month old suddenly having trouble fallling asleep...

J has always been pretty predictable in his nap schedule, at least since about 6 months old. Lately, he seems to have a really hard time falling asleep. I realize that he's getting older and doesn't need to nap as much, but what's concerning me is that even when he's obviously very tired, before I would put him in his crib to nap and he would either not cry at all -- just stick his butt up in the air and move his head back and forth, which is his way of putting himself to sleep -- or he would cry his "tired, not-quite-a-real-cry;just-protesting-sleep" cry only for about 5 minutes, then go to sleep.

Now, though, he'll do that tired-cry for over an hour, when it's obvious that he's really tired, and that he needs to sleep.

(He's still sleeping the same at night - no problems there.)

Thoughts??

Jill97

Asked by Jill97 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How many naps a day are we on now? It may be time to cut one out. My next thought is maybe the light is starting to bother him at nap times. You could try a bamboo shade to make it a little darker at nap times.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• They go through many different sleeping fazes as babies, toddlers and so on.

Things I would think about are, has anything else in your routine changed on him? That would cause him to be more restless? Is he getting enough time crawling around playing, fresh air, and other simulation? If not tweek what you need to there.

Stick with a routine... and as long as your baby has been fed, changed, played for a decent time then what I would do and have needed to do, is I would put my baby in bed close the door and let him cry. If they were crying for more than 10 min. I would come back check if they were dirty, lay them back down if they were sitting up, and walk out again, and let them cry until they fell asleep. They'll live and doing it once or twice is all it takes, and your baby will go back on routine.

I've done this. Good luck! Does your son get those red rings around his eyes when he's tired?
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• at 9 months, he does still need as much sleep...my daughter is 2 1/2 and still takes a 2 hour nap every afternoon...they just go through stages...mine slept better at 4 months that she did at a year...just depends on the little one....

and dear lord, lets not push this cry it out crap...there's no need for that. a baby needs more than a full tummy and a dry diaper. My daughter is 27 months, has NEVER cried herself to sleep and sleeps like a champ. 9:30 to 8:30 and she's a happy little girl. CIO is lazy sorry.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• also, if you start cutting naps out, he will sleep even worse.....the more they sleep, the better they sleep. Try getting an overtired baby to sleep...it's a nightmare. They should sleep when they want ESPECIALLY at that age...he's still a BABY!!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:22 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I have no intention of cutting out naps -- I know that sleep is SO important for babies. I forgot to say -- he's also waking up much earlier from his morning nap -- used to be a very consistent two hours. Now he's waking up after 40 minutes, an hour, etc. Until this started, about a week ago, he was doing a two-hour morning nap, then about a 30-90 minute nap two more times throughout the day.

Now, for example, yesterday he only slept for 20 minutes at his morning nap, then an hour later in the day. Today, I just had him down for his morning nap -- took him 20 minutes to go to sleep, even after very tired, and he woke up after 40 minutes. What's wrong???
    Jill97

Comment by Jill97 (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• sounds like a stage...my daughter went through this when she was done with her morning nap...try some outside time too...the fresh air helps a lot with sleep.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2011