I have a maltipoo who is prone to gastrointestinal issues....any suggestions on a particular brand dog food that works and that the dogs like? She is currently on a hunger strike out of annoyance from not having "people" food

hg216

Asked by hg216 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Pets

• well, people food is the worst thing you can give her. Probably why she has problems. There are lots of poisonous things out there as far as human food that most people don't even know about., For example, one raisin can kill a dog. it's a very painful death when their kidneys shut down. Other dogs can eat handfuls of raisins and be perfectly fine. Human food is not something you ever want to take the chance on. I give my dog Nutro Natural Choice. They have formulas for small dogs. Petsmart also has a line of Dog food by Royal Canin that is breed specific. Not sure if there is anything for your breed. But it's worth a try. If she's showing stomach upset signs...you can give her very ground beef that is completely cooked to the point of being dry mixed with some white rice. Just small amounts for a small dog though. Hopefully this will help. good luck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• One of my yourkie/pappillion mixes sometime has this problem, My vet suggested chicken and rice puppy food, if you are using canned food. Puppy food has all the nutrition without the fat. The fat is what sets of an episode in my dog.
    sdj1953

Answer by sdj1953 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I would ask your vet. I also agree that human food is a BAD idea. Our dogs are completely potty trained, but ate too much human food one day and had diareah all over our house while we were at work...they aren't supposed to eat it and it is super bad for them...i haven't fed them human food since then.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 3:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• when we adopted our dog he had lots of very bad gas and runny poo. We tried several brands of food (slowly, over time) trying to find what would help his tummy. We finally found that Eukanuba did the trick, and he has no tummy problems now. Good luck!
    kathy5980

Answer by kathy5980 at 3:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'd wait her out. Put the food down for 10 minutes and if she does not eat she has to wait until the next meal and should not get any treats in between. I have a picky eater myself and she used to snub her dogfood pretty regularly. A good food for dogs with sensitive stomachs though is a holistic diet called California natural.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:30 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• One of our dogs had gastrointestinal issues (colitis) and she was fed a Eukanuba blend specially made for dogs with problem stomachs. It wasn't sold in stores, we had to get it from the vet's office. But she had far fewer problems on that. She also had pills for bad flare ups. I would check with your vet, or try Eukanuba first since kathy5980 said it helped her dog's stomach issues too!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I really like Taste of the Wild for my dogs. It is grain-free and has no byproducts, fillers, or artificial preservatives. They love it, too. I would not feed ANYTHING from Purina, Pedigree, Iams/Eukanuba, Hill's, or Ol' Roy. They are a lot worse for dogs than "people food" (except chocolate, onions, raisons/grapes, and other toxic foods of course). Dogs CAN eat "people food" as long as it isn't too fatty, acitic (spelling??), or spicy. What do you think they ate before the invention of dog food???
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• its kinda sad that when you give really useful info, people give you a thumbs down??? Oh well, guess you don't need helpful info huh??
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2011