There's no way to ask this that won't make me sound racist, but bear with me.

I am caucasian. And 100% respectful of all cultures, races, and religions. This is going to come off totally wrong but if I can ask anywhere, it's here. lol

Do you think some clothing brands are "race specific?"

I ask because my (white) mother in law bought two really glitzy glam outfits for my daughter.

They are by Rocawear and House of Dereon.

Am I right in thinking that these brands are not exactly "for" white people? I feel like she looks a little silly in them cause she's so... white. And so are we. And I don't mean skin color necessarily.... I mean we're "white" like Dick Cheney is white, not like Eminem is white. lol!

(I am just digging my hole deeper and deeper, I know. Just trying to see if anybody else agrees or if I'm somehow a closet clothing racist!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Wow no because anyone can where them.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think clothes are meant for everyone. No one brands is meant for a specific race. Sure you may see one race where more often then another but all clothes brands are meant for anyone that likes the style
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Its what is hot and that requires no color look at gucci, prada, perry ellis or armani everyone wears it some even wear fubu and it does not matter what color you are you can rock it do so.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• No, they are not race specific. FUBU "for us, by us" was only for blacks....or so I was told.......but that was many years back.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• The designers have a client in mind when they design clothing. I don't think it is so much a race thing as it is a cultural thing. Teens here don't all wear the 'hip hop' look. Some wear a very cosmopolitan look while other wear redneck 'sh*t kickers" look. They may all be white...just different influences.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Im afraid Im with you on this one...I think they're directed at certain races...Im not racist. Im white married to a hispanic and have LOTS of black friends....anyway, whether it's what is "hot" or not...some of it is hideous no matter what color you are. I think a lot of kids, too, no matter what color they are try to "fit in" with friends, or just the trends...I dunno. whatever.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• No, coming from a black person, I think you can wear anything you want. It's not made for a particular race, it's made for anyone.
    my_jasnkiki

Answer by my_jasnkiki at 2:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I don't know, around here South Pole is considered an AA brand. My daughter got a South Pole sweatsuit for Christmas from my elderly Grammy, and I feel the same way. It just doesn't flatter her, and people tend to get the wrong ideas around here if you are dressing that way, in certain areas you run the risk of getting jumped.
    JenW777

Answer by JenW777 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Oh and you are not being racist. You are just asking a question.
    my_jasnkiki

Answer by my_jasnkiki at 2:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I see many people wearing FUBU all of the time. Again it has nothing to do with color.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2011