i need advise about potty training

my 18 month old son likes to sit on the potty but he has only used it twice.. is there any tips on how to get him potty trained?

wyattsmommy6509

Asked by wyattsmommy6509 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 18 months is early for a boy...(most of the time)....let him lead...if he's showing an interest, that's a huge step. My daughter has shown an interest and used it the first time when she was 16 months old...then she went through a period where she wouldn't go near it....she's 27 months and uses it pretty consistently...not fully trained yet, but she's getting there...if you push it or try to hard it can deter them and set them back even further. 18 months is still very young...he'll do it on him own time :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Be encouraging, but dont force it. At this age they show an interest, but may not be ready yet. I know we all cant wait until the diapers are gone, but if you force it before his is ready it could make the process longer. Make it fun for him to want to go with rewards like stickers and make a huge deal out of when he does go. We bought my DD a potty at 18 months, but she didnt start using it regularly until she was 2 1/2 years old. We let her tell us when she was ready and now she is in undies all the time. Be patient and encouraging and it will happen. Good Luck.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2011