confused on if i should clean the cord with alcohol??

well the hospital said not to clean the cord with alcohol and to leave it alone and sometimes clean with water but the ped says to clean it with alcohol. im so confused?!? help

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 10:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• use alcohol on the actual cord try not to get it around the edges where its separating so it will not burn.

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 11:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i got a cotton ball and put alcohol on it and rubbed it on and around her belly button several times a day and hers healed really fast.
    xkrystals.momx

Answer by xkrystals.momx at 11:03 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I didn't put alcohol on my son's for the first few days because I was afraid it would burn but once his ped. assured me it wouldn't I did and it actually fell off a few days later!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My hospital said not to do anything too, but it just didn't feel right lol. We used alcohol once a day. Really avoid getting it wet with water, that will make it fall off too soon and that's bad.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If you dont clean it then it can get infected. I cleaned my son's every time I changed his diaper.
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• In the old days (back when we were kids) you had to put alcohol on it to dry it up. Now, they use that purple stuff ?? to make it dry up very quickly, so the alcohol is no longer a necessity. However, it will not burn, at all, and will make it fall off quicker. It also makes it not gooey if it does get a bit wet.
    Try to keep it dry.
    Good luck! I miss those days...
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 11:13 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I was told not to put anything on it just don't bathe him/her until it falls off. I think it took a week or two.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I was told to clean it with alcohol...lol, was I the only one? But hte pads that the hospital gave me weren't working very well, so the pediatrician told me to just use a cotton ball or q-tip and a bottle of rubbing alcohol. After she said that, the cord fell off within a week (prior to that it was still like brand new! Took a total of 3 weeks to come off)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• u might not ever see the hospital staff again but its ur babys doctor who is responsible for his care, so i would listen to the dr more he is more involved in the ongoing care
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• oh i forgot to mention the cord fell off already and there is only a few pieces left that are still attached to him.
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 12:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2008