have you had your gallbladder removed? how was your life afterwards? adult content

I am in the hospital and have to have mine removed on monday. I have gallstones and the doctor says I am high risk for an another attack. I wanna know how things will change once it is gone. Pros and cons?

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 2:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Health

• I have not but want to send hugs, prayer and positve energy your way.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I had to have mine taken out several years ago. Nothing has changed for me. The only thing that might be different is that you can't eat high fatty foods. That's a good thing tho. Everyone is different.
    booksandhooks

Answer by booksandhooks at 2:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Mine's been out for 13 years. You can eat fatty foods, just know that it is libel to make you have to go to the bathroom after eating them.
    For me, nothing changed.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I had to have mine out 3 years ago, at first fatty foods would go right thru me. But now I can eat pretty much whatever and no problems. There are some things I know will bother me, greasy fair food, but I probably don't need that anyway.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I had mine out about 9 years ago, I can eat fatty foods, but I have to be near a bathroom,overall, no more pain like I had before
    tishmomof2

Answer by tishmomof2 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I had mine removed 14 yrs ago. I can pretty much eat anything now but at first fatty foods went right through me. I try to be cautious with what I eat now because I want to be healthier. All I can say it be careful with greasy and fatty foods. I try to stay away from fast food altogether.
    jenlesly

Answer by jenlesly at 2:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• This really helpful thank you ladies!
    momavanessa

Comment by momavanessa (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My mother got hers taken out almost 20 years ago--- back then you stayed in the hospital for 2 weeks! Hopefully, you can recover in the comfort of your home instead. :)

Nothing much is different for her-- she hasn't had any problem with eating food or tolerating. However, she did notice that she tended to gain weight a little faster, and had a harder time shedding it. My mother is pleasantly plump, and the difference in her metabolism is very minor. She just noticed because she had been thin most of her life, up until about 2 years after her gallbladder was removed. Now she's just more cautious about taking that second slice of cheesecake. :)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I had mine removed almost 5 years ago and my life is pretty much like before only I don't have the painful attacks anymore. I haven't had to modify my diet, like for spicy food or anything like that, and haven't noticed any negative side effects.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I had mine taken out several years ago. It will take a little while to heal completely so know that. I still eat some fatty foods but I try to limit how much because bathroom runs are not fun. If you aren't' going to give up fatty foods, you will quickly learn what your tummy can handle and what it can't. Good luck with the surgery. It will make you feel tons better.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 6:07 PM on Jan. 1, 2011