DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY TRICKS TO HOUSE BREAKING A DOG????

MY LIL WINNIE/CHIHUAHUA IS SO STUBBORN SHE KNOWS WHERE TO USE THE BATHROOM WHICH SHE PROVES EVERY TIME SHE GETS IN TROUBLE BUT THE NEXT DAY IM RIGHT BACK TO WANTING TO KILL HER FOR PEEING ON THE CARPET... AND NOTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING... SHES HARDER TO TRAIN THEN MY DAUGHTER WAS TO POTTY TRAIN HELP!!!!!

sunshine7884

Asked by sunshine7884 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Pets

• Create training!!! Google how to... it works awesome!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Is this a puppy? Confining a puppy to a small area would be less confusing then having the range of the whole house. If this is an older dog then of course it is more complicated. Make sure to clean up the area where the dog is going completely otherwise she will smell there and think it is okay to keep going back. Other then actually catching the dog at that time which would be best then you could firmly say no and place the dog outside. I have heard that the particular breed you are posting about can be very stubborn. Wish I could give you more advice. Try the internet for some more helpful advice if all else fails.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Definitely crate training. Also talk to a dog trainer to see if they can give you good tips. I've also heard the breed is very difficult to potty train.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 2:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Don't know any tricks~~but crate training is the only way as far as I'm concerned
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 4:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• MrsMWF, a chihuahua/dachshund is not a breed, so it can't be difficult to train.

Crate training is a good tool. Take her out every hour as well. Every hour on the hour. Stay outside with her until she goes and then praise her and praise her.

If she goesn't go, into the crate until it's time to take her out again. Then, outside, wait to see if she goes, if not inside and back in the crate. Keep it up and she will get it.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 6:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I agree with what Acid said.....Thats reallly the only way, at this point, that you will get her housebroken....
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    scaputo8500

Answer by scaputo8500 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Chihuahuas are notoriously hard to potty train. I agree with the crate training. i did so with both of my Chihuahuas...but, just so you know, they are the one kind of dog that doesn't mind being in their own feces and urine...it is quite disturbing.

my advise is this...don't give your dog food in the cage because it will make him/her have to go while locked up. You want to try to get his/her body on your time schedule. Give only water and feed after you get home until completely potty trained THEN you can put food in the cage with the dog.

MAke sure the cage is decently sized and don't EVER use the cage as a punishment or time out type of thing because you don't want the dog to think that they are being punished when being put into the cage. i used to give my dogs a treat every time I put them into their cages so that it was a positive thing.

Clean the cage when you get home and no punishments for accidents in it
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 3:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2011