my 15 month old all the sudden likes pacifersto handle stress is this bad?

ok heres my question my daughter never used nor like pacifiers or sucking her thumb even when she was born. well we had them around the house. but she started picking and hitting and biting herself and i noticed she started sucking on them and would not do that stuff. well now there on her shirt and now she sucks on them alot of the day. my question is does this seem normal to now want them and now seems like needing them to not do that stuff. should i take them away or just leave her alone sence a pasci is not as bad as what she was doing to herself?

troubledkat911

Asked by troubledkat911 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just think theyt are bad for their teeth and I always worry about the kids who bite them. What if they fall asleep with it and a chunk they bit comes off? I would try to give her another comfort item instead and see if it works out
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I would take them away. Allysmom is right. Now is the time you would start to ween, not introduce.
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My son used a pacifier until he was 4. He had a sever skin condition and instead of having him scratch all the time and end up with infected skin we let him use it. I wanted to take it away when he was 3 and my DR told me not to. She said that it was better for him to use it, then to have his skin infected all the time.

He is 11 now and he does not have problems with his teeth and nothing ever happened to him. I think that you needed to do what you think it best. For me this is what worked.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• thanks cornflakegirl that made me fell better i mean its better than her bleeding and looking like a anmial attacked her skin from her bitting and picking.
    troubledkat911

Answer by troubledkat911 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If it's avoiding the other, more troubling behavior, I would let her have it. Follow up with the doc to try to figure out the reasoning behind the behavior and see if there is another way to combat it, besides the paci. You want the least of the evils :)
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I agree with ferdo. If its keeping her from doing the troubeling behavior, I would let her have it. But, I would also talk to her doctor to find out what might be causing her to bite and pick at herself. My daughter is 14 months and she uses a pacifier when she goes down for naps and nights. We are starting weaning, its not pleasant.
    amp83

Answer by amp83 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My dd is 18 mo old and she rarly used them eather, I thought I had them all picked up around the house but aparantly one fell through the cracks and she found it but she really don't suck on it she just carries it around and when I check on her at night she has it in her hand, I don't see a big problem with it right now, and I figure what good will it do me to take it away now when I have another one due next month...
    MissAmber

Answer by MissAmber at 10:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2008