Side Effects of Phenobarbital

My dog has been on Phenobarbital for 5 days now. She's already gained 5 pounds since starting this medicine. Is that normal? Also, will she ever get out of the "dopey" stage? She's so lifeless at times, it bothers me but the vet says it's normal. I want my energetic, playful dog back! I want the Epileptic seizures to stop but it just seems like she's not even here anymore and that's so sad!

jon6pat

Asked by jon6pat at 10:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Pets

• here is a website with a lot of information on pheno and the side effects
    http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Phenobarbital.html
    She may need to be on a lower dose so it doesn't "dope" her up so much, how much does your dog weight and what strength is she currently on?
    Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• my dog was on pheno for over three years along with other meds. your dog will eventually get used to the dosage, or call your vet and ask if you can split the dosage up during the day....say, instead of 2 pills at breakfast, give her 1 pill at 8am and then another 12 hours later...split them up over the course of the day. i completely know how terrible it is to see the seizures...my golden would have a grand mal seizure about once every 7 to 10 days...like clock work!
    mokennedy

Answer by mokennedy at 1:26 AM on Jul. 18, 2008