Am I the only one? How do I cope? I can't stop thinking about it.

Visibly and obviously pregnant I went out on the town as a designated driver with my man and some friends over the weekend.

We were in a popular area on a campus and there were pro-life protesters. We had to walk past them and they were carrying huge signs of late term abortion pictures. You have all seen them, they are gruesome.

I don't know why but I was the only person in the immediate area that they ran in front of to flash the pics in my face. I don't even know what they were saying, I was too shocked by the pics and the action they took on me.

I have been very bothered since. I am pro-choice but with many restrictions. I cannot stop imagining my baby being on one of those signs.

How do I stop myself from picturing my baby on those signs?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 11:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Every time you catch yourself remembering those pictures, visualize a stop sign and then replace it with an image of you holding your newborn baby and beaming with joy.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If I were to ever blatantly hate a group of people I don't know, it would be pro-lifers who do that. It's disgusting and there is no reason for it. How dare they push those pictures on you? What kind of human being does that?

I really don't know how you can get that out of your head. I really don't. I'm so sorry you had to see that. Those people deserve the hell they love to scream about so much.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:20 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• You just have to believe in yourself and that you are going to do what is best for your baby. I can only imagine how hard it is not to see your baby on the signs.

Hope it helps and good luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I am pro life but I couldn't imagine showing pics like that (I know it's very disturbing) It was un called for to shove them in your face and I have no clue why they would do that...just because your pregnant?? it's not like you had a sign that said I'm going to abort my baby...oh boy wouldn't that be awful...I don't know how you could take the pics out of your head...maybe look online for some nice pics of you beautiful baby growing inside of you...or actually it wont be yours but still wonderful, then think of that picture...or if you've had an ultrasound then think of those pics.
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 12:00 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• i too am pro-choice, but i am firmly against partial birth abortion. i don't know if you're religious, but the only way i can suggest ridding your mind of those pictures is to pray about it. i recently saw a news report about the brutal rape and murder of a 7 month old baby-the exact age of my dd at the time. it was so traumatic for me that i didn't sleep for weeks. i just kept standing over her at night, crying. praying, more crying. more praying. the worry and disgust you feel is just part of being a mother. you have to tell someone how deeply this effected you. you have to talk about you feelings on this issue. if you talk about it, others can reinforce your feelings and help you overcome them. good luck, this will pass with time.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 12:07 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• No, you're not the only one. When my son was an infant, there was a huge news story here about another baby who was left in a car on a hot day and died.

I couldn't pick up the newspaper for days, and wouldn't watch TV. And I'm a journalist.

how do you push past it? By remembering that those images are NOT your child. And then...get angry at the people who pushed it on you. Find out what organization they are with, and send a letter to the leader of that organization. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper too.

Taking action feels good and helps exorcise the demons.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2008