What do you think about my decision?

I have decided to give my son my last name. It is my first child. I have been with the father for over 2 1/2 years and we live together, but we have no present plans to get married. He has two boys from a previous relationship. They have his last name. If we do get married in the future I will change both me and my son's last name to his. I just feel it's the right thing to have the same last name as my child. Anyone think this is wrong to do?

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Baby Names

• I agree completely. If you aren't married, and may not end up being married, I personally would do the same exact thing!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My personal opinion the child should have the fathers last name if the father will be in the picture and taking care of him
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• i gave my daughters their dads last name before we were married, they are his kids!!!
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 3:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• If the father is going to be in his life I'd give him his fathers last name. Dads last name will never change, if you wait and then you get married your son will either have your maiden name or you spouses last name, but the dad will have to agree to changing it to the spouses last name which no father is going to do. SO you'll end up having different last names anyway
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• "They are his kids?" He is my kid too, correct? And if I got married to someone other than the father, I would not change my last name to something different than my child. That is the whole point. To have the same last name.
    Kelli1012

Comment by Kelli1012 (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• i had my son (hes my first) and me and his father were together. we had no plans to get married and i gave him his dads last name. i wish now i hadn't because we are no longer together. we broke up after 4yrs being together. i have my son. his father lives 2000miles away and calls once a month. i wish i gave my son my last name.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• why dont you hyphen it then? Like say you last name is Mark and the dads is Spencer do Mark-Spencer or Spencer-Mark.
    You're making this about you when really it should be about the child.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Not all last names sound like that together lol. That would be nice, but very unrealistic. How is giving my child the same last name as me "all about me" that is ridiculous. If anything it is more for the child's benefit. Considering i will be the one taking him to school, doctor's appts, etc the majority of the time.. He won't have to explain why mommy's name is different. I think it's a lot easier to be so set in one traditional way of thinking when you don't have to make a decision like this.
    Kelli1012

Comment by Kelli1012 (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Don't you think he will question on why he doesn't have daddy's last name? It's easier for YOU, i think you need to speak with his father and compromise. Is he okay with he's child not having his last name? It's his child too.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I agree with you...
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2011