Help for child's diarrhoea... Home remedies? ER? adult content

I'm wondering what to do, I put the kids to bed at 7pm (hour and a half ago ish now) and my 7 year old boy's been in bed all day (well in and out) with chronic diarrhoea - so I know he's been fine since 7pm. We rang his doctor earlier who told us to give him plenty of fluids and to record how often it was, then basically just cut us off. I've given him plenty of fluids and he managed to keep some food down earlier and some energy drink. However he's just woken up and it's getting to the point where he's in so much pain and it's seeming constant. I'm really panicking. He's in so much pain and has just thrown me out so I'm sitting outside typing this to you - he wants to be brave and has got to the point where he likes to be quite private with me so I want to know what I can do - alleviating the pain at all?

Should I take him along to the ER? Or call the emergency doctor to come out? He's getting plenty of fluids but it's getting too much now, he was going ever half hour or so earlier, possibly more at one point and it just keeps coming now...

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 3:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Check his eyes too. IF they look sunken in then hes getting dehydrated. If he is looking and acting himself then hes prob fine and it will most likely pass soon. Stick to the BRAT diet and see how that goes. Bananas, rice, apple sause and toast...some ppl drink tea too
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• If he's in pain i would take him to the ER
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Pain is def a sign to look for. And like you said he has it. If he has headaches Id def worry because its a sign of dehydration. If he is taking in fluids without vomiting then he may be fine but Id call the dr again just to be safe
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2011