Why do so many Christians believe they are the only religion?

Why do so many Christians discount other religions? I see over and over on here where a Christian will be saying something and will only count Christians and Athiest. Why are Jews, Muslims, Wicca and others never counted in as a religion?

dhhaj

Asked by dhhaj at 11:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because thier magical fairy tale book says you're either a Christian or you're being decieved by the devil. There are no shades of grey.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• because that's part of our religion to believe in one god and our beliefs
    Anonymous

• actually, my fairy tale book speaks several times of other 'religions', people worshiping other gods/idols,etc. but you are correct, samantha, in that book, there aren't shades of gray. (just stating what it says as it is written, whether its taken as fairy tale, or historical.) why do some christians discount other religions? idk, maybe because in their mind the other religions don't matter, to their own faith. much like to other religions, christianity doesn't matter. there are closed-minded persons of every 'faith' or belief system, or even those without.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:36 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• anon 11:34 could you read the question and then answer what I asked?
    dhhaj

Answer by dhhaj at 11:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• thehairnazi don't you think that even if it doesn't matter in their eyes that they should still include the other religions when they are talking about religions? How can they have a conversation about religions and only have Christians and Atheists represented?
    dhhaj

Answer by dhhaj at 11:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• How can you say your bible doesn't have shades of grey? Disregard what it says - there are two major facts that point to the bible being a bit confusing and 'grey'.

1. The fact that there are 4 'accepted' books of the gospel, even though there were MANY others written.
    2. The billion or more religions that interpret the same bible different ways.

Its ridiculous to doscount other religions regardless of what religion you are. Its also very pompous to believe you personally know the finite truth. I wonder if god will be happy he thinks youre smart enough to figure out his 'greatness'.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 11:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• true, there are gospels not included in what is widely used and known as 'the bible'. i don't have the knowledge as to why there weren't more books included, or why there were as many included as there were. (i was not on that committee.) and i in no way excused the christians the op spoke of. i only gave my opinion as to why 'so many' regarded or didn't regard other religions. people all over the world, christian or not, interpret the same bible in different ways.. whether they have a religion or choose none. the question was 'why'..not do you agree or disagree, or what is your opinion of said christians.as for being pompous..i think its rather pompous of you(if you're speaking to me) to think you know what i believe, since i neither stated or gave any clues. what i think and what i know can be two different things..far be it from me to say w/certainty why others feel the way they do.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• The bible says You shall have no other gods before Me." Exodus 20:3
    "....these men have set up their idols in their hearts, and put before them that which causes them to stumble into iniquity. Should I let Myself be inquired of at all by them?" Ezekiel 14:3
    "... their gods shall be a snare to you." Judges 2:3
    when you have eaten and are full, and have built beautiful houses and dwell in them... [then] your heart is lifted up and you forget the Lord your God. ... you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gained me this wealth.’
    "...if you by any means forget the Lord your God, and follow other gods... you shall surely perish. As the nations which the Lord destroys before you, so you shall perish, because you would not be obedient to the voice of the Lord your God." Deuteronomy 8:10-20

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• cont.........
    Be very desolate,' says the Lord. 'For My people have committed two evils: They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, and hewn themselves cisterns -- broken cisterns that can hold no water.'" Jeremiah 2:12-13
    The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness." 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12
    you turn away and forsake
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• i can only guess, as i said, some people are close-minded, and refuse to see the other side of things. when i agreed that the bible has no shades of grey, i'm speaking from having read it, and understood it to say 'this is allowed' and 'this is not allowed'..i can't think of anything written in what we know as the bible as being 'conditional'..except for reasons to divorce. (but that's another post, and if asked about it, if someone wanted to know what the bible said, i'd give that info..if they asked my opinion,i'd give that. however, what i think and what i know, as the bible is written, can be two different things.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2008