picky eater

healthy meals
I need advice for feeding my picky eaters. How did you get your children to change their eating habits/try new foods? I made the mistake of serving them something different from us- grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, mac 'n cheese, french toast, etc instead o serving them what we had for dinner. Now if I try to serve them something diferent there are tears from my preschooler and my toddler throws it on the ground. Very frustrating! You can criticize and bash if you want to, but I am asking for advice, so please be courteous if you wish to reply.
If they do not eat what I serve them, what do you suggest? Thanks for any and all replies. Just trying to be the best Mom that I can be and that is why I am asking for help/advice.

2coolmama

Asked by 2coolmama at 11:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• They can either choose to eat with you, or they can choose not to eat. If they take an honest bite of what you're having and they hate it, offer one alternative. If they don't take that, too bad. (This might be too tough on a toddler, but a preschooler can handle it) Trust me, they won't starve. They will eat.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• You stop coddling them and give them what you eat and you stick to your guns. DONT give them what They want. Feed them what you want them to eat. Stop buying mac-n-cheese and pizza. Stick to your guns about not giving in and they will come around. Unless your child has serious mental problems kids will NOT starve themselves. Hunger is the best sause to getting kids to eat different foods. Ketchup also helps.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• We started a 3 bite rule when my son was 2 and a half or so. He has to have at least three bites of everything on his plate. Eventually he discovered more and more food he likes. We make sure they don't have any snacks around dinner. We also don't give him his drink until he has eaten enough food. This stops him from "filling up" on his drink. Definitely stop offering alternatives to dinner. Another idea is take the dinner ideas they DO like and add to them - like adding broccoli to mac n cheese... or make a casserole like mac n cheese - to build off familiar tastes he likes. You can add egg to grilled cheese to make a yummy breakfast sandwich. I hope this helps!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I have found some recipes online that "sneak in" vegetables by pureeing them try allrecipes.com. Also we have the rule that if you do not like what I am serving you can choose pb&j. I also agree with the posters who say they will not starve themselves, my ds went through a phase around 18months when all he would eat was cheerios, I talked to the pediatrician and she said he will get through it as long as it is not a junk food, let it go.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• well i have always been very lenient with this issue. i have one that was a picky eater as a toddler and now i have to chain him down from the fridge. i have one that was a great eater and now will only eat meat. and the last one was born eating and we have to watch her cause she sneaks food to her bedroom. i have to treat each kid differently for each phase they are in, and i just basically let them have whatever they want within reason. at dinner i will make a variety of things, the middle one will eat only the meat, the older one will eat all that he wants of what he likes, and the little one we have to ration because she will literally take food from her siblings. whatever is left me and dad get. i'm just not into forcing any types of food on anyone that doesn't want it. they aren't underweight, they aren't overweight and they go to bed happy.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 10:16 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I use to have this problem with my then 4 year old. when i had my last baby my mother in law kept her for 2 weeks because i was stuck in bed, but she would give her anything she wanted and cook something diffrent for her when she didn't want what she had cooked. Thats fine, but when she came home i wasn't having it, i was too busy to make her something diffrent. so what i did, was make her plate with whatever meal i had cooked and told her that if she ate it, i would say so many bites of this and so many of that, and then she could have a treat of her choice after. like a slice of pie or a cookie. it took a few times but she finally started getting it and she eats whatever i make now, good luck momma and i hope it all works out for you!
    allybrggs

Answer by allybrggs at 11:00 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• If they are served what you eat, yes, they are going to throw a fit for a while...but they will get over it. I had a lady suggest this and I thought it was great. Allow them to pick out "what's for dinner" one night a week but the catch is they have to eat what you fix the rest of the week without complaint. She suggested giving them a cookbook (for small children, lots of pictures is good) to choose from so they think they are getting their way, but you still end up eating a decent meal. She has 5 adopted children and says it has worked out great at her house. I do totally disagree with the I'll fix you something different deal, but I realize parents do it thinking it won't be a big deal and then it turns into one...you're catching it early so that's good and stay strong...don't give in.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2008