eating healthy

healthy meals
I need advice for feeding my picky eaters. How did you get your children to change their eating habits/try new foods? I made the mistake of serving them something different from us- grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, mac 'n cheese, french toast, etc instead o serving them what we had for dinner. Now if I try to serve them something diferent there are tears from my preschooler and my toddler throws it on the ground. Very frustrating! You can criticize and bash if you want to, but I am asking for advice, so please be courteous if you wish to reply.
If they do not eat what I serve them, what do you suggest? Thanks for any and all replies. Just trying to be the best Mom that I can be and that is why I am asking for help/advice.

2coolmama

Asked by 2coolmama at 11:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There are people that think the tough love method is mean, but.. whatever.
    You could set up a lunch with a few different healthy, tasty options and dont give in if they dont eat anything.
    Just keep at it. Try to have playdates around kids who eat healthy, and promote healthy snacking while the other kids are eating the healthy snacks, too.

i get alot of my recipes off of this website.
    and i also serve his lunch from his lunchbox, which helped.

food:
    http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/toddlerfastfoods.htm

lunchbox:
    http://www.laptoplunches.com/
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 11:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• OH! if they like grilled cheese!

Get tortillas and make quesadillas. Even better than grilled cheese. Start out with white, then move to tomato or spinach tortillas. Sneak in peas or broccoli, corn, carrot, etc. You dont have to use butter on the tortilla, so thats good.

Tell him its pizza!
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 12:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My parents didnt coddle us. Mom made what she made for dinner and we ate what she gave us or went hungry. Some things she made us sit aty the table till we ate it, and as we got older she taught us the "no thank-you" portion. One spoonfull of something we never tried in order to taste it.
    You are either the adult in charge in your house or your the prent who is controlled by your kids.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:27 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Why would anyone criticize you? Being a mom is hard!! I have this same trouble with my preschooler. He's my 3rd child and I've learned that it's not the end of the world if he doesn't eat what I think he should all the time. Sometimes it helps us if he is a part of fixing the meal. (Sometimes I'm too tired to fight so I just give in and give him the chicken nuggets.) But, lately we've had some success with taking something away if he doesn't eat a certain amount of what I serve him. He watches a movie before he falls asleep. After one night of him NOT getting to watch his movie because he didn't eat, he's been much more likely to comply. But he's four. For your toddler...that's a whole different ball game!
    CoconutShrimp

Answer by CoconutShrimp at 12:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2008