Taking the Shell off a Hard Boiled Egg?

Anyone have any tips for the easiest, most efficient way to take the shell off a hard boiled egg? I seem to have it coming off in millions of tiny pieces and it's driving me CRAZY! :)

amybaby_19

Asked by amybaby_19 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• i crack it under cool water and peel...
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 4:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• It helps to use eggs that are at least a week old. Let them cool completely before peeling... and leaving them for a day can help, there, too.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I crack both ends frist and then roll it on the counter...usually it all comes off in one big piece when I do this.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Let them cool all the way down. The roll them against the counter. Get ahold of the skin that is just below the shell. Once you have the skin, the shell will 'shuck' right off.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• you are suppose to add enough salt into the water when you boil the eggs to make the water taste salty, and that is suppose to do the trick in making the shells come off easily. It must work because since I have started doing that I haven't had a problem getting the shells off easily but it was always a headache before.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Crack it on the top and bottom, then roll it really good on the counter or a cutting board. The shell will break into a bunch of little pieces and you can use the "skin" underneath to pull it off in one or two chunks. Usually the egg stays smooth and intact. Make sure the egg has cooled first. It is very hard to peel when it is still warm.
    jessi217

Answer by jessi217 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Make sure you aren't using eggs that are too fresh, they need to sit in the fridge a few days. Fresh from the chicken eggs are the harded to peel, when we had chickens I would wait no less than a week before I boiled the eggs. Also, once they are cooked, dump the hot water and keep refilling your pot with cold until the water stays cold. This will help the shells come off cleanly.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• let them cool, and smash on the counter to peel!
    JenE1098

Answer by JenE1098 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I just plain old whack 'em on the surface and peel. I rather enjoy it! (I'm strange I know)
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Mine you I've never tried this method but it looks easy and I'll be trying next time

Sprintcuts: Quick-Peel An Egg

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2011