Should a teen who has a part time job still get allowance?

What about chores? Do they get a free pass on those once they get a job?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 4:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• No free pass. if they want the allowance, they still have to do the chores.

Do you as a mom, once you get home from work, not have to do household duties?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• IMO they no longer get an allowance but they still help with chores since they are still living in the house and are a part of the family. You don't get paid to do chores. Allowance was just 'profit sharing' In fact when I got may first Job I had to start buying *some* of my own things like shampoo make up and deodorant.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Her coming home from work and still doing her responsibilties at home is part of growing and knowing that when you have your own house it doesnt stop just because you are tired. I don't give allowances in my house. My kids have daily chores that they are responsible for. It is there job to take care of there personally belongings and to help out with things they use in the house like dishes, trash, ECT I don't use it all so I don't do it all! The get a commision for a job that nees to be done like shoveling the porch, or driveway. Mowing the lawn in the summer ect. In my opinion it is part of life and they will know what responsilites are.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• If the other kids get allowance it's only fair she does as well. I don't think she should get a free pass. Her responsibility at home is more important then her job.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• i worked a part time job in highschool and was still given an allowance at home but only if I got EVERYTHING and then some done at home, stayed on top of my homework, ect. My parents theory was that home work and work-work were two different things, and because I didn't have to get a job, but did anyways so that I could pay for my rodeo entry fee's ect and get to keep my winnings instead of reimbursing my parents.
    COWGIRLinPEARLs

Answer by COWGIRLinPEARLs at 4:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I never got an allowance...I had to work for my money under the table doing odd jobs like babysitting, cleaning houses, and working at a local restaurant from the age of 13.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Never believed in allowances. I never got payed for cleaning up the house. So why should they. It is part of being a family. Doing their part. If they had a job, they would still have to do some chores at home.

Answer by louise2 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think as long as they are doing household chores (not just the ones that benefit only them like cleaning their own room or putting clothes away) then they should still get an allowance. I feel that having a job and still having resposibilities at home help prepare them for real life...not everyone gets to hire a maid to take care of the house while they are working :)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think my parents thought process was that I needed to learn to manage my money. So they had me take on a few responsibilities. I had to open a checking account balance my check book and pay for a few of my own things as a learning tool. I taught me to manage my money well. Especailly when I decided to get a pager and had that bill to manage as well. To each their own but I didn't want anyone thinking my parents were being jerks! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I agree with louise. No one pays me to do housechores so why should my children? We get paid if we work a job but household chores are a FAMILY responsibility....
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 1, 2011