How can I get the little hat to stay on baby's head?

I'm due in two weeks and it gets very very cold here! I want to make sure my baby is warm at all times. But the only thing to cover his little bald head are those little hats that I know won't stay on! I'm afraid he'll get very cold when he's sleeping, especially since he'll be sleeping low to the ground in a mobile home.

I almost want to put him into a hooded coat, but I'm thinking the reason they do not have pajamas with hoods is that it would not be safe. I was thinking of putting double-sided tape onto his head in order to keep caps on. Any ideas?

knightmoves

Asked by knightmoves at 11:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The caps actually stay on surprisingly well. Get one made of stretchy fabric and pull it down over his ears. My DS can't wear hoods or caps that tie yet. Whenever he turns his head his face gets stuck inside the hood or the ear flap!
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• im confused.. u say you are due in two weeks... well.. how old is the baby that you are trying to keep warm?
    rojareb84

Answer by rojareb84 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• With a newborn, I dont think you need to worry about the hat coming off. Its when they realize "noooo mom, its not comfy" *yoink!*

Now why is he gonna be sleeping low to the ground? I know I paniced alot when Audrey was born in March, still snow on the ground. All you really need to worry about is keepin the ears covered. I know I hated it when her hands and feet were cold. Just bundle them up enough. :) A onesie, socks, a PJ sleeper and some blankies :) Simple enough
    MyLittleBlossom

Answer by MyLittleBlossom at 11:50 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• as long as your inside and the house is heated comfortably between 68-72 degress no hat needed. babies should never be more dressed than one layer to sleep as well they can't control their temperatures like we can and take some off and some don't cry either. Babies adapt very well to cold and hot weather no need to worry about a hat everyday. don't stress about it.
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 1:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Those hats stay on better than you think, especially on little bitty heads. And as long as you keep your home warm enough, baby will be fine. Pick up a winter sleep-sack. I live in Minnesota, and all my baby will be wearing to sleep is a long sleeved T (or perhaps a sleep 'n play) with a sleep sack over it. No socks, no hat, no blankets, either! The rule of thumb for dressing a baby is to put them in as many layers as you're wearing. Don't go by their hands and feet, as their circulation is not as good as our's and aren't good indicators. Feel baby's chest for temperature, then you'll know whether or not s/he's warm enough. Good luck, and early congrats to you!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2008