What's an appropriate allowance amount?

SS is 9 and I'm thinking of giving him an allowance. He's never had any chores other than taking out the trash. I want to give him more chores and thought it would be a good time to start an allowance.

Averylee85

Asked by Averylee85 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• It depends on what he does and how much you make I think. Mine always got between $10-$20 a week.

Answer by gemgem at 5:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My 11 y/o has been getting $10 every 2 weeks ( my payday) since 8 y/o.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 5:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• IMP allowance is pat of being in the family just as chores are neither has anything to do with the other. Allowance is a good money managing tool. Chores are done because you are part of the family and that's how it works, Allowance is given to you because as part of the family you deserve some of the income. Not done chores can cost money payable to who ever picked up the extra chore.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My 11 y/o gets $5 per week and my 16 y/o $10. The only chores they have are to keep their own rooms clean and they rotate weeks to help out with the laudry or running the dishwasher.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• One dollar per year of age. 9 years old $9.00, with no strings attached. They learn the value of money and how to spend and save it. Doing chores are expected as being part the family. The child can keep 50% of the money as mad money for them to spend on what they want, 25% to be put in a short term saving for something that they are wanting to get rather soon and 25% to be put into a long term saving for that bigger price item.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I believe at the age of 9, $5 a week for completing all chores is sufficiant. They need to learn the value of money and the hard work you have to put in to get something out of it.
    stepmom32

Answer by stepmom32 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I don't pay for my son to do what is expected as being part of the family. No one pays me to take care of him and clean up after him. If he needs something, I get it for him. If he wants something big, he saves birthday and Christmas money and earns extra money by helping his grandparents or babysits.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I have heard one way that I think it great. Give the whatever the going rate is for an adult movie ticket at you local theator. At mine is $10 and that is what my little brother who is 11 gets
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me! I know this one! I was watching that "Til debt do us part show" the other day, and the professional woman (I don't remember her name...gail maybe...??) said they should get one dollar per year of age per week. She said it's a great way to teach a kid about money. So, my 7 year old would get 7 dollars a week, and my 4 year old would get 4. She didn't say when they should start getting it, but yeah...LOL Hope this helps!
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 2:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think they should EARN their allowance, so just do like a certain amount per job. too many kids think that money comes free. Im teaching my kids early that we have to work if we want things. The harder you are willing to work, the more $ you can get.
    strawberryLVR

Answer by strawberryLVR at 12:10 PM on Jan. 4, 2011