What can I do about "formula rash?"

As a new mom, I have found that formula seeps my newborns neck and causes a nasty looking break out. I have been cleaning her neck after every feeding then putting vaseline on the area. Is there something else I can do to help the raw areas heal up faster and to prevent that from happening again? It doesnt seem to bother her too badly, but it looks HORRIBLE!! help?

cristie1276

Asked by cristie1276 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Aveeno Baby works weel. I also have used Desitin. I know it is butt rash cream, but it works very well!!!
    DBKels

Answer by DBKels at 3:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I am going through this same problem right now so I have started wiping under my DD neck with a warm wash cloth after every feeding and applying johnsons lavender baby oil gel generously and keeping her bib on unless she is asleep. This method is working wonders.
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Try to see if she will wear a bib. It will help some with the formula dripping down. And always make sure the lid to the bottle is on evenly and tight. I have had some problems with the bottle lid not being on right and it leaking everywhere when my son would drink it.
    LadyUsagi

Answer by LadyUsagi at 11:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Have you tried a bib? That might help.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Using vaseline isn't a good idea because it creates more moisture under the neck, which is already there due to the formula. My daughter went through this until she was five months old, and I found that cleaning under her neck and then using a sprinkle of baby powder worked the best. The baby powder helped keep it dry, even while she wasn't feeding, and was just drooling.
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I tried the baby powder but when mixed with spit up or drool, it just became curdled in the creases of her neck and irritated it more in my opinion. I feel the baby oil gave it a protective barrier which not only protected it but allowed it to heal as well.
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 12:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Try Aveeno for babies.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 1:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Are you sure it isn't a heat rash from feedings??

I don't formula feed, but both my kids have gotten extreme acne all over their faces, heads, and necks in those first weeks..

I'm convinced it's the heat rash from being pressed up against the breasts for feedings, as formula babies don't tend to get it nearly as bad.. But some moms also claim it's hormones..
    In either case- normal..
    Personally I use calendula oil.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:23 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My doctor told me to use vaseline. It seems to work for my baby.

ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 3:41 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Yep, diaper rash cream solves all sorts of rash problems in my kids. You could also try Lansinoh Lanolin, it will create a moisture barrier as well, and lanolin has natural healing properties.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 12:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2008