Road trip with our 5 year old! Help, lol!!

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are taking a road trip to pick up our new puppy in a few weeks and we are bringing our 5 year old son. This is his first road trip and the drive is approx. 9 hours long. We are very excited and I am wondering if anyone has any advice or creative suggestions on how to keep things running smoothly. We plan on leaving at 3:00am and letting him sleep for the first few hours. I will be bringing snacks and we plan on frequent stops, but any additional advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone! Happy New Year!

mamabear0025

Asked by mamabear0025 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Portable DVD player and favorite cartoons or movies. Particularly if it's a NEW movie. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I always like to drive at night so my boys sleep or like you very early in the morning. I go to the dollar store and get crayons, books and things to keep them occupied. Ps. don't forget to put the crowns up out of the sun lol : )
    JAIMEELLEN77

Answer by JAIMEELLEN77 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My husband and I routinely take road trips with our son(3), most are a minumum of 2 hrs up to most recently a 6 hr drive. I agree with your frequent stops. I also bring some toys or games to play with in the care, and the dvd idea is also a good one.

Try to get him engaged in looking at the scenery and naming things that he knows. you can search for a game of Car bingo, they have ones with just the pictures on them.

good luck!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I agree that a trip to the dollar store before hand is a must. Make sure he doesn't see the toys before hand, and when he is getting restless pull out a new toy. That will be the best $5 you ever spend.

Also a portable dvd player is a must.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• try and come up w/ a budget of $15 or so for some goodies. An etch a sketch, magna doodle, new headphones for ipod or dvd player. if at all possible do at night so your kiddo can sleep..... we do that a lot, personal preference. other neat car toys are slinky, silly putty, goo/slime etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Buy a bunch of little toys form the dollar store and wrap them like little gifts. Every hour or so let him open another one. Sing songs and play car games. Make up stories! Go to the library and get some books on CD. We LOVE our Xm radio for the channel 116 Kids Place Live. IT was fabulous on our 10 hour trip to Disney a couple years back with my 2 and 5 year old.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I dont have any advise but GOOD LUCK
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• THe DVD idea is great, the little etch a sketch or the portable toys, Leapsters are fun. The rhyming games, ABC game. I also recommend stopping for lunch at a park stay for a while and this way he can run off some of his energy, and an in door play area equipped place for dinner. If you have a portable potty handy you might want to bring it for emergency stops. GL
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Give him a DS to play if you have one.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• The Leapster products are great for that age, DS (or any hand held gaming system), books are a must. Maybe you have a portable CD player or tape player, a cheap camera that he can take pictures with (even a disposable one). I think you really need to remember that although it is a 9 hour drive, you need to plan for 18 hours in the car (I assume you are going home after). If you have money to do it, a new game would be great for the way back or maybe pack an "on the way there" bag and an "on the way home" bag. Good luck!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2011