Good chores for a 6yr. old and how many?

i need some good chores for my 6 yr old son and how many i should give him.
also i need a good helpfuly way for him to acutally getting him to do them?

steelermom80410

Asked by steelermom80410 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Help load the dish washer, feeding any pets you have, sweeping the kitchen, cleaning his room, folding towels, watering plants, my sister did that at a very young age.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• oh
    and some type of reward system. Like, get a calendar and for every say he does his chores when he is supposed to he gets 2 stickers, if he has to be asked then he only gets one. Once he gets some odd stickers(say 20) he gets a prize, something small but something he will like. Or maybe just cash $$$
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• my ds takes out the trash to the big can outside the house. and he also cleans his room. let me point out that the trash can is beside my driveway and I watch him all the way there and back lol just hope he never sees me
    rainfey

Answer by rainfey at 9:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• my DS who is 5 will help set the table, puts clean silverware away, washes the dinning room table, and can feed the pets. He's also responsible for keeping his toys picked up and putting away his clean clothes in his drawers.
    kathy5980

Answer by kathy5980 at 2:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• how many is too many?
    steelermom80410

Comment by steelermom80410 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I try to change to chores up a bit so they don't get bored. My 5, 6, 8 and 11 year olds help sweep, vacuum, unload the dishwasher, pick up toys from the living room, take the trash out, clean their own rooms, wipe down the table and counters, take care of their own dirty clothes, put away their clean clothes, and make sure all shoes end up in the shoe bucket (well, even the little ones help with that LOL).
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Oh, I forgot wiping down the bathroom sink. I usually only give 1 or 2 chores a day for each kid.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Get a dry erase board and write down 3-4 smaller chores for him to do each day. write down the chores and draw a little square by each chore. When he does the chore, he gets to mark it off. Every day, if he does each chore without complaining, he gets a small set amount of money (and yes at 6 they DO understand money lol). I would think 25 or 50 cents would be fine. Good chores for a 6 year old include picking up their room, feeding family pets, helping to fold laundry, putting away their own laundry, clearing the table after dinner, setting the table for dinner, even washing kitchen counters if you give them gloves and cleaning wipes. My DD is 6, so I know a 6 year old can do all these chores, and I know the money is a good motivator once they realize what they can buy.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• If you have pets.. have him feed and water them.
    Set/clear the table
    Load the dishwasher/or help wash dishes (if you do them by hand)
    take out the garbage
    vaccum the living room

Somekids would rather do outside work, some inside. So I wouls see where your child is happiest and go from there. My oldest is almost 10 and she does these chores:
    Feed the chickens
    Feed the dog
    Set and clear the table at meals (with help from her younger sister)

It's not much but they very important.
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 11:44 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• At that age, our cleaned her room, picked up the living room at night, and fed the dogs.

Now at 8 she still cleans up the bedroom, living room, cleans up after supper(clears the table), and feeds the dogs.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2011