How can I help build up my 16 yr. old son's self esteem?

My son is a good kid and last year got teased alot, I think he sticks out because he is a bit shy around people he does not know well and is not a loud mouth or show off at school and takes school seriously..he's not a nerd, but does pretty well, likes sports and is a big guy. We taught him to respect authority and to behave. (maybe too well) so finally he is speaking up more at school . But, it affected him so much that he was getting anxiety over it. This year is better, and he is teased alot less, and he stuck up for himself when some kid was annoying him. His counselor suggested Karate..not to fight, but, to build himself up as he does well. hat do yoiu think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Great idea, but not for self-esteem. Communication especially with mom is what worked for mine, complement him encourage him and be his friend.
    rockingrobin

Answer by rockingrobin at 12:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Karate is a good idea as well as sports or activities in a group atmosphere. The YMCA usually has sport things for kids as well as community centers where you son can do activities with groups to build up his self esteem.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• my son is a very well behaved kid and he started taking karate  when he was 5 he is 17 know it did build up his self esteem and taught him that fighting was not the way to go it taught him respect for the art and for people, he is really good at it know and he made a lot of really good friends in his karate class. i think it is a wonderful idea my son was really shy to and he does speak up for himself and he carries himself w/ so much confidence.

sdeignan

Answer by sdeignan at 8:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• SOunds like an okay idea. You could try it and see how it goes. SOunds like you have a great kid. Keep communicating with him about what hes feeling. That helps so much.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2008