freaking out at the dr. not able to calm down what can i do

DD is 4 everytime she goes to the doctor she FREAKS out i mean to a point where there is no calming her down and she has to be held down every time just to get an exam. Now the problem is that her left eye is crossing and she needs an eye exam. We just got home from LensCrafters where we tried to get her an exam but she was freaking out and crying and kicking and screaming and we tried EVERYTHING to get her to calm down nothing worked so the could not get the measurements of her eye to see if she needs glasses. I don't know what to do. She has been like this since she was a baby. With an eye exam we cant force her to do it though...its not like you can hold her head down and her eyes open lol but i am so worried that if we can't get her an exam and see if she needs glasses whatever problem she has will become permanent. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ask her doctor for something to help her calm down during her appointments.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I get nervous when I go to the doctor so I get a Valuum before I get fillings because my nerves become Hypersensitive when I get anxious and I won't get numb. Strange. Maybe they can do something along those lines for her? I don't want to suggest drugging but I have no other solutions. I remember when I was younger I had to have some type of skin thing removed and they gave me laughiing gas, as well as when I had 2 root canals at 5 they also gave me laughing gas so I would just be calm, lol thinking back thats pretty desperate but it worked
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Stop forcing her to do things she doesn't want to. At 4 years old especially they like to feel they have control. Our doc suggested bringing in a favorite stuffed animal and the doc would show the kids what they were going to do on the doll before they did it to the kid. I would also suggest finding an eye doctor in the area that specializes in pediatric patients.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Stop forcing her to go to the doctor? Um, if she didn't "force" her, it would be negligence.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 6:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

I am not going to allow her to have a PERMANANT problem with her eye because she didn't want to go to the dr. We tried the stuffed animal. It didn't work and unfortunately we have to go where our insurance is accepted.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• You could try a pediatric opthamologist. They can do an exam on babies and if her eye is crossing, this is the doctor you should really be taking her to anyway in case she might wind up needing surgery.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Start by going to a pediatric opthalmologist. they specialize in kids' eyes and will have a better idea of what to do with her anxiety (they've seen it all). I'm surprised Lens Crafters even let you make an appt. for a 4yo. We took our oldest to Wal-mart for a routine eye exam at 4 1/2 and they almost refused to see her because they don't see kids under 5 but they asked if she could recognize letters and I said yes (she was turning 5 in 2 months). The doctor agreed to see her. But my 8yo sees a pediatric opthalmologist and has since she was 17 months and needed surgery to unblock her tear ducts. She has been wearing glasses since she as 18 months and still sees them because they are experts in childrens' eyes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:19 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Stop forcing her to do things she doesn't want to. At 4 years old especially they like to feel they have control

Oh that's great advice!! How about she doesn't take her to the doctor at all and the child ends up with a major health problem? (rolls eyes)

Anyway, ask your pediatrician for something you can give her that will calm her down before a doctor's appointment. Also, like others have suggested, take her to a pediatric opthamologist. They are better equipped and trained to deal with children and might have some ideas for you on keeping her calm.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2011