Would you rather your child ......

A) Miss a meal entirely
or
B) Eat a meal of something like canned Beef-a-roni a slice of Wonder bread with butter and a glass of Tang or Sunny D (example meal, you get the point)

for drama purposes we'll say this is a perfectly healthy school aged child. Not a toddler, infant, or kid with medical issues

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:07 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• B
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't mind either of these choices. My kids are all perfectly normal and I do allow a couple of unhealthy meals a week anyway. They can also skip their meals if they're not hungry, I never push them to eat because they are so healthy.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 6:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• B
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I suppose I'd need to know why they're skipping the meal...

If it were just this is all we have to eat today take it or leave it; then I have no problem at all with the child choosing to not eat.
    If it's the parent saying well that's crap food so I'd rather my child go hungry than even offer it to them; then I think that parent has some issues...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• B
    There isn't anything wrong with eating canned food, as long as it's not 3 meals a day 7 days a week.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Either is fine with me, assuming B is not the norm meal. Everything in moderation and all that. I'd pick B over A if the child was hungry....but there are plenty of times my kids don't eat a meal because they just aren't hungry, I don't force them to eat....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My kids have had less than that to eat in the past. There was one time this summer when all we had were cheap hotdogs with ketchup and mustard, no bread. That's what they ate for dinner with some saltine crackers.
    Years ago we ran on hard times and the kids ate saltine crackers with thinly sliced cheddar cheese on them for dinner (I went without). The next day we didn't have any more than that so they had just plain crackers. 3 kids (2 1/2, 3 1/2 and 5) split 1 pack of saltines between them and went to bed crying they were hungry.
    They will eat whatever there is before going to bed completely hungry even if that was just a tub of ice cream (although I have no idea why there would only be ice cream in the house).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• B. I would rather have my Son eat things like that than go hungry.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 6:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• B. i would love to see my 3yr old eat something even remotely like that. he's so picky
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• B ... my son LOVED Chef Boyardee until the day he passed away. He would rather have that than anything else. When he missed a meal, he became ill as a little hornet.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2011