Is peanut oil healthy to cook with?

I want to find an alternative canola oil since canola is now a gmo. Does anyone have experience cooking with peanut oil?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 6:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• are you talking about regular cooking or frying? Olive oil is the best for just oiling a pan and basting meats. Peanut would work well for frying in. But if course nothing fired is healthy! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Oilive oil would be the healthiest oil of choice. Peanut oil is great for frying, stir fry etc..because it has a very high 'smoke-point'. However, we have been advised by my grandsons allergist to treat peanut oil the same as peanut anything else. Do not expose children under 2 to it, they believe it can trigger allergies before then.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I've heard that olive oil is terrible for frying .... something about the heat breaking it down and turning it rancid. I had read the olive oil is not meant to be cooked with. I use coconut oil, but I don't really like the smell of it and it is expensive (I've also head that frequent use of it is not healthy).
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• peanut oil is def better than coconut oil health wise. No you don't want to fry in olive oil. Honestly though most things you would fry are just as good in the oven. or 'oven fried'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Paula Deen seems to use Peanut oil for her frying of chicken...etc.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 7:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• @But_Mommie
    I make my own chicken tenders on occasion for the kids - it keeps us from frequenting fast food joints. How do you "oven fry."
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I make chicken nuggets in the oven:
    .I mix together bread crumbs, salt pepper and enough butter to make it 'wet' Not drenched or 'mud like' Like maybe 2 table spoons in one bowl.
    I mix egg, paprika, hot sauce (just to taste not hot) and milk in another bowl. take the chicken nuggets and give them a milk bath followed by a coating of the bread crumbs and put them on a pan not touching. bake at 350 for about 15 min or so. They are easier to get off the pan if you use parchment paper. I am beginning to really love parchment paper.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Sweet ... that sounds great! I'll have to try that. I've always wondered if parchment paper can actually handle the hot temp of the oven, but that's what you cook it on?
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• yes on a cookie sheet line with parchment. It great for cookies to!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Use olive oil for sauteeing, or pan frying, peanut oil for deep frying because it will take a high temperature and not break down.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2011