How old were you when you got your first job?

Did you have to get a job or was it for spending money?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• My first job was when I was eleven I had a paper route and yes my mom was a single mom and if we wanted to have fun we had to earn it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I was 12 and I was a photographer's "Happy Helper" :) along with some baby-sitting.

I got the job because I didn't want to have to ask my parents to buy me stuff, but I definitely didn't have to.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 6:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I started babysitting at age 9, and at age 18 I got a job as a waitress. I had to get a job as I needed money and my mom needed my extra income to help out.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I was eleven when I took a job sweeping floors at a hardware store. Later that same year I sold candy door to door for money. I didn't "have to" work, but I had no allowance and no choices. A year later I stared mowing lawns for money. The first thing I bought with my own money was a goldfish bowl and a fish. I also babysat but I don't think I got paid for it until I was about 13 years old.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 6:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• 16. I had to work, I had moved out of my house and in with my boyfriend. Supporting myself was better than living with my alcoholic mother who's moods swung more than a tavern door.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I worked as a cashier @ 13, I was almost 14. It was not spending money. My mom was odd.. I had to take over all of my expenses including food, transportation, etc. It basically made me a little adult. Worked 32 hours a week, as a freshmen in HS, and basically gave me the power to run my life and that I did.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• 18. Had to,my mom and stepdad threw me out as soon as I graduated. It was either move out or pay them $300 a month to live there,plus pay for my own food and all my expenses. i didn't think it was fair because their rent was $325 and all utilities were included. Basically I'd be paying their rent!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• i babysat at 12 but my first job for a business was when I was 17
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 8:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I babysat starting at 12 years old usually booked every weekend. At 16 started modeling and enjoyed the work and the money.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 8:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• 16 & it was at Six Flags.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 8:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2011