Is it normal for a 3yr old boy

to line up all of his toys? He lines them from smallest to biggest or vice versa. Also, I noticed with his dinosaurs he will line them from meat eaters to plant eaters or all the dinos toward another animal such as a giraffe or horse.

I am not complaining he is my only child and I am not normally around other children.

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 6:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have an older friend who's son is now 23 & she said he was SOOO organized as a little boy, totally unlike his 2 sisters. He would line up everything, everything had it's place & he would get mad if someone would move it. He is perfectly normal, no disorders or anything. It's probably just his personality :)
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 1:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Out of my 3 boys, 2 of mine did that. My oldest (who is on the Autism Spectrum) and my youngest. My oldest would do that with everything... his toys, paper towel rolls, my mil's spice jars.... and heaven forbid if we touched or moved any of them out of order!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• my perfectly healthy 3 yr old organizes his things like that.
    COWGIRLinPEARLs

Answer by COWGIRLinPEARLs at 9:22 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My boys didn't do that much, but my grandson has always done it. I have a number of pictures of hundreds of his matchbox cars lined up by colors. He goes to OT, PT and Speech for delays..but his therapists don't think it has anything to do with his problems..just a quuirk of his.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• What is OT & PT?
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• yeah, my son likes to line his cars up and claim they're in traffic lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Not saying this is his issue,but autistic kids tend to do this

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• How would I know if he is autistic?
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• OT is ocupational theapy
    PT is physical thearpy.

If the only thing he does is line up his cars I doubt he is autisic. Is his language on track? Does he make eye contact with you? Is he social? These are some things to look at. If you are concerned askhis pedi
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Too funny. My oldest used to have to be able to put his hand in between every hanger in the closet. When he was 3, 4 and 5 if his food touched each other on his plate he wouldn't eat? We used to bring his own divider plate with us to restaurants, outings etc... He is 33 now and has his peeves but he is okay.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 9:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2011