When looking at baby names...

Does the trend of the "oh so cutesy" oddball spelling of names strike anyone else as ssort of selfish?
I am not out to bash or offend anyone, more like thinking outloud. It seems to me some people believe naming their child is all about them. I actually asked a friend recently "Don't you think he'll (the baby) spend a lot of time correcting people on the pronouniation and/or speeling of that name?" Her response was ""I don't care I want it to be unique". It just struck me as selfish not to consider the one who has to live with the name. I went to school with a girl named Sunrise, she hated it and was teased constantly. She changed it as soon as she turned 18. Her Mom was so upset. Selfish...or am I missing something?

GrnEyedGrandma

Asked by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Baby Names

• Totally agree with you. I know a family with 3 kids- twin boys named Wisper and Shadow and a little girl named Soul. I think it's really selfish and unfair to the baby. I'm all for not-so-popular names but I would definitely prefer my kid to be an Ashley along with 10 other girls in her class that having to live with a name like Shadow!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 7:03 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I don't know if it's selfishness or just stupidity. As for weird or cutesy spellings, they're just lame. For the length of your child's life, people will know that his or her parents were uncreative people who had no clue what creativity would even look like, and bad taste to boot.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• It seems 50/50, half grow up with unique names that they loved because they felt like an individual, the other half grew up hating their names. I think the name you give your child should be a gift of sorts. Well thought out in every respect. I think it's beautiful as well when someone names their baby after a special member of the family.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• i thought that way until i was trying to pick out a name for my daughter and then someone mentioned something to me and i was like oh yeah i better not do that. they were already making fun of the name and baby wasn't even born yet so it took awhile to pick her name and its common but not uncommon at the same time. its perfect . but sometimes they think of the meaning rather then how does this effect my child in the long run. but sometimes unique names make the person though. so its all in the way you see it.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• i like unique common uncommon names & names with different spelling but if my child doesnt like there name & changes it when they get older that is there choice i wont get mad
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• When people add letters that dont belong or come up with reaaly outlandish names I do think that is irresponsible and cruel. ,lso the ghettofication of names like Gynnifa for Jennifer or anything La Da or Tra will cost the kid in the workplace later on studies have shown
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I believe that in some cases it is an act of selfishness, but some people truly believe the names they choose are so beautiful and think their kid won't get teased for it. But regardless of what your kid is named, the cruel kids that they will someday go to school with will still find something to pick on them about.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I absolutely agree, but I also have a daughter who's name I spelled uniquely and never once has anyone had a problem pronouncing it. Yeah, they do ask how to spell it, but it's not so completely off the wall that I'm worried about her getting teased in school or having employment issues in the future. It's my daughter who has the more 'simple' name who gets it mispronounced often. Her name is Mila, and people pronounce it My-la instead of Me-la. Oh well =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'm telling my age now but I grew up at a time when Flower Power was in full swing. I have known LOTS of people with 'different' names. All but 2 wish their parents had thought about what it was going to be like to be a 35 yr old man named Woodstock, or a 45 yr old oncologist name Rainbow. No lie those are real people I know. The two that love their names are pretty much carbon copies of their parents..and that's great....but most of us don't turn out that way.

Great points ladies.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Comment by GrnEyedGrandma (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• SO PEOPLE END UP LIKING THERE NAMES I WENT TO SCHOOL WITH A GIRL NAME SUNSHINE AND SHE LOVES HER NAME I KNOW 2 GUYS WITH UNIQUE NAMES 1 IS WOLFGANG AND THE OTHER IS PEANUT THE ONLY ONE THAT CHANGED THERE NAME IS PEANUT HIS NAME IS NOW MARC
    19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2011