• In the Spotlight:

I think I might be allergic to condoms....

When dh & I have sex we start off without, and I'm fine. After he puts a condom on it starts to become painful & I feel like my vagina is swelling, inside. It causes burning & discomfort, what do you think? Possible allergy??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Health

• yes. Do you react to latex gloves? You may be allergic to spermicide if you don't react to the latex gloves

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I would say you either have a problem with latex or with the spermicide. I am allergic to latex and non-oxynol-9. It took us almost a year to figure out I was allergic to both.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Thanks ladies.... I don't have any kind of reaction to latex gloves, so I'm thinking that it probably is the spermicide.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

•    IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ALLERGIC TO LATEX DID YOU EVER HAVE THAT PROBLEM BEFORE

19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Have you tried sheepskin condoms?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Sounds like it. My dh is allergic to condoms and they give me UTI's. I have the IUD in and very thankful we do not have to use condoms anymore.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I'm wickedly badly allergic to spermicide, and it feels like fire ants have descended on your vagina and attempted to kill it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I am leaning toward allergy. I am allergic to the warming KY stuff. It makes me swell and get horribly painful.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• You may be allergic to the latex or the spermacide.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2011