what do you think of this letter?

I have decided to hand write (gasp! yes no email lol) a letter to an old friend to try to start the friendship over. Alittle background: We have not spoke in over 3 years b/c we got into a huge arguement over some petty things, alot was said that shouldnt have been and about 2 years ago I wrote her an email. I didnt get a response and so I have thought maybe with the new year, a new start could happen.
Here is the letter:

Dear __________,

Hello! How are you guys?

I guess you're wondering why I am writing this letter. Well with the start of the new year, DH (yes i used his real name) and I would like use the new year to start a new friendship. We would like to put everything from the past behind us and look towards the future.

We would also like to sincerely apologize for everything that happened in the past. We hope that everyone can move past the negative memories and begin to establish a friendship again.

We would love to be able to meet for dinner and talk about everything, in hopes of a new begining.

Hope to hear from you soon!

-DH & I

thoughts? is it too short? am i wasting my time?

AFMF920

Asked by AFMF920 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• Very honorable for you to do! Someone should try to repair the relationship and that someone might as well be you. It seems that this is important to you. Holding grudges is never a good thing. Mail the letter and hope for the best. It can't hurt to try. At least if it doesn't work out, you will feel that your conscience is clear and happy that you made the effort- for the second time!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• you know instinctively if you are waisting your time or not. the letter is not too short and i think a personal letter attempt is awesome. If no response then you can let it go knowing you tried. Good luck
    gracioustouch

Answer by gracioustouch at 7:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• nice, short sweet and to the point
    and not negative
    imo send it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I would send it..it's a nice, thoughtful, and well-written letter. You have given me inspiration to do the same, thank you!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 7:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I love that you are hand weitting it in todays time with e mail that does not happen enough... send it and good luck to ya i hope it starts your friendshi anew
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 7:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think it's a lovely gesture. Send it for you. If they don't respond it is in their court. You can move forward klnowing you have done everything you can to make amends. Great idea!
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think brief is better, but if you don't kind of hammer out some of the negative things that happened in the past, won't they end up still being there under the carpet so-to-speak? I'm not saying you have to have some major heart-to-heart, but I think maybe if you talked in person and apologized in person as well, it might go a long way. Otherwise, I think the letter is great, and so is your attitude. Good for you for trying to start out the new year like this.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• it's nice, like the pp's said, send it and if you get no response at least you tried. IMO if this is still something between you guys then you obviously weren't that good of friends. my bff and i got into an argument years ago, we both ended up moving out of state, me a year after she did. a few months after the argument we just started talking like nothing even happened. i honestly don't even remember what we argued about...now she's my kids' Godmom and i'm her kids Godmom...
    Anonymous

• I think it is a nice letter and I would send it. If you do not hear from them, then you know the friendship is truly over, and you can put them behind you and move on. If you do hear from them I hope all works out with them!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think you should send it. It is short and to the point. Aleast you know you tried if it doesnt work out
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 8:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2011