Whining 2 year old

I need some help, advice, something before I beat my child.

My DD is 2. When she doesn't get what she wants, she'll throw a fit...and I know part of it is because of the terrible 2's. However, she'll whine and hang on to my leg. When I'm sitting down on the couch, she can't sit beside me, she has to be in my face...literally 4 inches, face to face. I sit her down beside me, she'll cry and whine.
I've tried time out, doesn't work.
I spank but only if I really need to...any advice?

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ignore the fits. just let her have it and tell her when she's done she can come talk to you. when she's in your face explain to her that she doesn't need to be that close, she's close enough when she's in your lap or next to you. you need alot of patience with a 2yr old. i have one and had one last year. oh boy did i learn patience lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• When she is on you, go back on her. Stay at her face, show her how annoying it is. She just have no idea what she is doing. Do the same with her. She has no idea how annoying is what she is doing. And she has no idea what does it mean personal space. Until you show her what does it mean. They think it is a good fun (for them it is because no-one show them what are they doing). So honestly when she is on you, show her how does it feel. She will stop really soon. I know it seems annoying or do what is annoying but she honestly has no idea what is she doing. Show her. And she will know. Don't be mad at her. She is just 2 and exploring. Time out won't work because she has no idea what does she do wrong. For her it is not wrong it is experimenting. And no-one stared at her close or those thing she does with you. So be mummy bear and teach her firm but gently:)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 7:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I try to be calm at all times, but it's really plucking my nerves.

I've tried to get in her face too and invade her personal space. She thinks it's funny.

Just a few seconds ago, she wanted juice, so I poured her some. She saw that I was drinking soda...and starts wailing...like banshee wailing because I would not give her soda. 9 minutes later, she's still wailing...OMFG *pulls hair out*
    Chloesmom1126

Comment by Chloesmom1126 (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• ok, taking the soda incident. if it were my child, i would have got down to her level, said "you can't get soda, it's a grown up drink. now, you can have your juice, or you can have nothing at all. and if you want to keep throwing a fit about it, you can do it in your room" and, because she's 2, she will keep with the fit. that is when you take her to her room set her on the floor or bed, make sure there's nothing in there she can get herself hurt on, and walk out. make sure you stay within ear shot so you know she's just throwing a fit and not hurting herself, and check on her without her seeing, if at all possible. fits are for an audience, if there's no audience, the fit will not last too long.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• hitting stresses her so stop doing it. little kids try to please abusers so she's in your face trying to make you not be mad at her (that's what your negative energy tells her) She whines bc she wants love and attention from you. Give it to her and she'll stop the whining. Take five min out of your busy day since you are just sitting there anyway and hold her, talk to her, be a mom. Putting 2 yr old in time out won't work. They don't understand what it is for and the two min it would require isn't effective. You are pushing her away that much more by doing that and she's going to think you are mad at her again and get in your face to get you to not be mad at her. See the cycle? You can stop it. Geez, she's a little kid. Teach her and quit punishing her for being a little kid wanting mom to show her affection
    Anonymous

• I tell my son that he needs to use his words and that I can't understand him when he whines. Even if I CAN understand him when he whines, I want him to understand that this isn't an acceptable way to communicate.

I also ask him to calm down and, if he doesn't, I ask him, "Do you need to sit in the corner for a minute to calm down or do you want to calm down on your own?"

You'd b amazed how quickly they can calm themselves down when they have the option of doing it on their own or doing it on time out.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 2:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2011