At what age should you start letting a child take a bath by themselves?

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• my kids have been doing it since they were about 2. we're in a one story house, where i can hear them everywhere i go, and i do check on them every few minutes, it's not like i throw them in there and leave.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• It depends on the child. I started leaving for 5 seconds to run and get a towel around 2 1/2. I started letting them hang out in the tub and just checking in on them every couple minutes around 3 1/2. At 4 1/2 I still wash their hair and bodies, and run the bathwater, but they are left alone for up to 3 minutes at a time.

Baths by themselves at this rate probably won't happen until close to 6, since they have little interest in cleaning themselves, and just want to play.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 7:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Over age five in this house. Completely on their own, much closer to 8-9 if we expect them to get clean.

I just don't think a kid under age 5 can be safe alone in the bathtub full of water.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• twin mommy, I think that is how my dd is gonna be. She is 4 and if I let her take a bath herself, she would just play
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My son is 4 and we don't have a bath just a shower. so he get in I soap him up then he takes his shower and rinses off, have the time he puts something over the drain so the water backs up and i find him sitting in it when i know longer here the shower sounding like it should. But even with just a shower I find I watch him real close usually in the room right next to the bathroom the whole time he is in and we have a rule he leaves the bathroom door open unless we have guest.
    sarah.luckylady

Answer by sarah.luckylady at 10:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I stopped giving her baths at 5 years, she still needs me to tell her to wash her hair. LOL
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 2:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2011