how do i get my youngest to fall a sleep with out screaming his self to sleep

ClassyMomma-24

Asked by ClassyMomma-24 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why would you allow a child to scream himself to sleep? I don't understand that. What ever happened to a loving mom rocking a child or holding them and letting them feel the love and security then they fall asleep. That's not just in movies ya know.
    Anonymous

• Do you have a routine? Is there something that you know calms him down (singing, rubbing his back, etc.)? Is he too tired (exhausted kids have a harder time settling down)? I'm not sure what might help since I don't know the situation.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• this isn't great advise but the only reason my son doesn't do that is because he sleeps with me and hugs me all night. maybe you should bath him before bed that usually calms my son down
    JOHNNYSMOMMY23

Answer by JOHNNYSMOMMY23 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• schedule!!! the same things, the same times, EVERYDAY! and it is not a crime to let your child cry themselves to sleep. sorry. i have done it, everyone i know has done it. not only is it good for lung development, it also teaches them to self soothe.
    COWGIRLinPEARLs

Answer by COWGIRLinPEARLs at 9:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I completely agree with COWGIRLinPEARLs. My son was Ferberized at about 2 months. I am in control of my child, not the other way around. He has been sleeping through the night since 2 months simply because I made him learn to put himself to sleep and BACK to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night...don't get me wrong, I fretted while listing to the monitor and IMMEDIATELY checked on him after he fell back asleep because I was absolutely terrified of him not being okay, but I knew that I wasn't doing him any service by running to save him everytime he whined in the middle of the night.

NOW...after defending the fact that I beleive in Ferberizing and responding to ignorant people that don't understand or respect the practice simply because it isn't what they chose to do...

To be able to help, we need to know how old your child is, why your child is crying, what is going on in your child's life..
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• CIO or not, people still believe that crap about it developing lungs? Really. I really hope that pediatricians aren't still teaching parents that.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 11:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i have read everything u have said, see he use to sleep with me and hold me but i am trying to break him. i am doing the same thing i did when my oldest hit a year old, getting him used to sleeping by himself. he cries til he passes out and trust me i freak every time. i love my boys. he is a big mama's boy. he always wants me but i am trying to teach him just cuz i dont hold u all the time and let u sleep with me dont mean i dont love u. thanks for the advise and answering to my question. i will try everything that was said.
    ClassyMomma-24

Comment by ClassyMomma-24 (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2011