Broken record I know....... adult content

Not really a question I know, but if any of u has read the posts in the politics and current events room, and reading about the cause and effect of hurricane Katrina on 3 different states, the financial and emotional costs of this hurricane, go to YouTube and type in Hurricane Katrina, and u might get a whole new perspective on what happened and what didn't get on the news. Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana all got hit hard. 1000 people were killed in Louisiana and 200 were killed in Mississippi. Nobody, unless they were there, will probably never know exactly what it is truly like to lose absolutely everything u have ever owned. Losing the house u dreamed of having all your life, and not having any proof of your past life like photo albums even your drivers licence. Its upsetting to me when everyone is (not just the women here in this chat room), is judging people that are still living in the FEMA trailers. So what if the citizens in Mississippi or Alabama moved on quicker then the citizens in New Orleans? Thru out the history of all hurricanes that has hit the US, never before has a hurricane directly hit Louisiana, even Katrina didn't hit them right on. Can u imagine the loss that could of occurred then? Hurricane Camille didn't hit them, Ike or Wilma or even Andrew has had a direct hit. Even the most deadliest hurricane in the US that hit Galveston TX in 1900 that killed approx 6,000 people!! There might even be more then that, nobody knew for sure. The only other hurricane that can be considered equal in strength and intensity is Palm Beach-Lake Okeechobee hurricane of September 1928. Anyway, this will be it from me. I apologize if it seems I am running on and on about this, I lost quite of few really good friends in that storm, just a few people might have lost freinds/family or pets. I still have friends who still live in those FEMA death traps. The insurance agency they had went under because of all the claims coming in at once, and State Farm, they ones who have this company now, are taking a long time to "settle". U know cause of any possible fraud that might be occuring, like they wanted this storm to take everything from them.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• New Orleans was a disaster because of the people in the town and the local governments. They pissed the money away they were given to fix the levies. Clinton gave them funds and Bush Jr did too Louisiana and New Orleans used it for other purposes and gambled. The people in New Orleans had been living on the edge for many years so even a minor catastrophy would have brought them down eventually. The people struggling now were struggling before and always will because they are lazy.

I helped during Katrina and quickly left after the masses decided to be rude and violent. We took our supplies and left and went to Mississippi and the people there were very gracious and we all felt safe. I wouldn't help New Orleans again under any circumstances if that sounds mean too bad. I was there and saw how vile most were and the only help they need there is more jails.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Palm beach county, where I live in south Florida, was hit with a cat3, followed by a cat4, followed by ANOTHER cat3 in one short hurricane season (2005). Charley, Francis, and Jean. Lots of deaths, TONS of property damage, lots of homeless, no power for over a month, curfews, etc. Before we could finish rebuilding, we got hit less than a year later with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Wilma_in_Florida

We rebuilt, got over it, and moved the hell on. We aren't asking for financial benefits from the govt years later. Why should they be any different- because they're poor? There are a LOT of very poor citizens right here in West Palm Beach, Lake Worth, Riviera Beach, Pleasant City, Boynton Beach, and Greenacres. Any Katrina survivor who still feels entitled to what they did not work for or earn should learn something from my state. Hurricanes happen- and we have WARNING! LEAVE if you can.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 9:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Sucks what happened but so many places have huge disasters ane recover. Look at Parkersburg, Iowa. They had an F5 tornado then a flood just a week later. Small town no one gives a shit about but they are doing well without all the welfare gimmes people in New Orleans got. Neighboring communities of Cedar Falls and Waterloo has 100's of homes flooded the city didn't whine and wait for some one to do for them they did for themselves they lost everything too. Cedar Rapids 1000s of homes were destroyed again rebuilding all without a celeb telethon. The people of Louisana are lazy and love sucking on the Gov teat that is why they are still struggling.
    Anonymous

• Two towns in Kansas had everything completely destroyed. Roads washed away into fields, crops ruined and destroyed, entire buildings collapsed and annihilated, no houses or businesses survived. And in just a few years the towns are rebuilt and starting to thrive. Katrina was a disaster, but not the only disaster! Get over it, move on, rebuild, and quit whining.
    Anonymous

• You need to face the facts. What happened in NO happened because the Governor and the Mayor had their heads up their asses.
    As has been said, this hurricane hit 3 states and was felt in several more. Most of the people killed were poor blacks who were not given the opportunity to get out in traditional ways. By the time someone with a brain got through to the guilty parties it was too late. I live just North of Galveston in TX and we have been through many hurricanes and storms that caused flooding, power outages and damages. We had the benefit of leaders who knew what they were doing and were able to recover fully within a couple of years even after worse storms. Most of the people who are still in FEMA housing are there because they don't want to go out and pay for an apartment. I guess the lesson here is you had better have insurance on your home and belongings so you can rebuild your life.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I have a friend who lost everything and didnt live in New Orleans. Their house was basically gutted. Anyway she lived with her kids in a FEMA trailer until a church came and helped them redo their house a year or so later. There is alot of help available out there as well. I think though it was such a bad disaster and people lose so much there is a point when you have to wash your hands of your past life you can never get back and move on dont you? I think that is why people tend to get upset about things is all. Disasters do happen all of the time and people do move on. At some point its time to get a new place to live, move, get a job or whatever. If it isnt working after so many years then it probably wont work there, and its time to move on.

Answer by gemgem at 8:11 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• But you're comparing three states to one town. On a comparison scale, the destruction was the same. And they still moved on and rebuilt, without asking and whining for money. Just because one reached a larger scale doesn't make it more of a disaster than one on a smaller scale. Houses, businesses, entire towns were still destroyed. You think there weren't people in the other towns that relied completely on SS? Or that couldn't get money out of their bank account? Are 8 deaths unimportant just because another disaster had 1000 deaths? It's still 8 people that lost their life.
    Anonymous

• How about NC that suffered from the floods from Hurricane Floyd? How about the states that suffered from the effects of Hurricane Hugo. How about south FL that suffered from Hurricane Andrew. How about the lower keys that suffered from Katrina, and then Hurricane Wilma? Have you seen the flooding and devastation from Wilma? Did you even know the lower keys had problems from Wilma? Don't get me wrong. Katrina was bad, but NOLA isn't the only place to ever have to deal with a hurricane. I live in eastern NC. Do you know how many hurricanes we have here? The most recent that caused all kinds of problems were Fran, then Denise (he hit us twice) and 4 days later Floyd. Floyd did $6 billion in damage and killed 57. My brother lost his home and his lively hood. He was a farmer in Edgecombe County, NC. His crops flooded which left him with nothing. We know.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:34 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'm sorry OP, but the people in NOLA who are still sitting in FEMA trailers need their butts kicked. They should have long ago gotten jobs and either rebuilt or rented another home for themselves. Those who haven't done so in FIVE YEARS haven't because they don't want to, not because they can't. Every single one of them would have if there hadn't been a free FEMA trailer to live in all this time.

I agree with the pp ~ those in other states were hit just as hard, but they have moved on. There have been other disasters since then and people have moved on. NOLA created it's own mess and is STILL wallowing in it.

Quite frankly, I detest that my tax dollars are footing the bill for such lazy, useless people. My own state (SC) is a hurricane state, and I'd rather the money be used for more prep here. After Hugo, SC figured it out ... unlike NOLA.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Very well written. I live a hour from New Orleans and it was horrible down there. I lost an aunt in Gustav so I know how it feels to lose a family member during a hurricane.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 7:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2011