Wha grade should a child be in reading alone??

What grade or age should a child be reading alone by thereself?Was wondering cause my son is in the 1st grade and has trouble reading,he's also ADHD.My daughter is a A/B student.So she started reading well early.

alisha34886

Asked by alisha34886 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd say give till the end of 2nd at the latest. Be sure to practice with him. Take him to the library and let him pick out books then read them together. (You read a page, he reads a page, let him sound them out and you help him break it down if he can't figure it out.) Point out words in signs, instructions, etc.
    Anonymous

• my son is in 2nd and just startinng
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 7:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• That hard because it depends on the book. Reading happens at different ages for each kid. My son can read step one books by himself but needs help with step 2 and isn't willing to try step 3. He to is in first.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Both of our boys have been reading on their own since the first grade.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think it depends on the child...my son was reading small books before kindergarten and is now at a 4th grade level in the second grade...my daughter could care less...she would rather do an art project.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2011