What age do you think it is inaproriate for a father to help a dd take a bath?

I have always heard that that should end around potty training because that is when they learn about modesty

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• When they want privacy... Unless a man is twisted there is nothing "wrong" with it until the child feels uncomfortable.. My younger two kids are 10 and 8.. One boy and one girl, they don't want either of us in there when they shower :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• a dad can help them with a bath as long as they need to be helped taking a bath!!!! she's a child and he's her father!!!!
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I help my sons in the bath. I actually helped my oldest until he was 9. He didn't start getting modest until then and he needed help. Just because he is a guy doesn't mean he is a child molester. He is their father, not some weirdo.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Modesty? Bath? He is the dad. He has to get out of the bathroom in the same time when you do. It is not a male, female thing. It is a mummy, daddy and bathing alone question. You don't leave a 2-year-old alone in the bathtub. So honestly daddy has the same right to be there as the mummy. Parenting has nothing to do with sex (male, female) it is everything to do with mummy and daddy is being responsible for the child's safety.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 7:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• LOL! Mine weren't modest until they hit puberty! I, personally would say as soon as they are able to clean themselves, he could just kind of keep an eye on them while they are in there. Maybe around 6 or 7???
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• When the child or the father is uncomfortable with it. I remember my mom still helping me with baths when I was 7 (I think). So if it had been my dad instead, why should it have been any different?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think when they can wash themselves adequately and be able to bathe without supervision...5 or 6. I don't see anything wrong with a father helping his daughter bathe or get dressed when she is still at an age that she needs help....same with a mother and son. My 4 year old is still a streaker...apparently she didnt get the modesty memo...lol however my 7 year old is starting to understand privacy
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• As long as they need help. Why is okay for a mother to help her old boy but people think its wrong for a father to help a girl? It doesnt make sense.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with a father seeing his daughter naked. People that thing there is a limit (like at 2) are the sick ones. They have twisted minds to think that there is anything sexual about a father helping his daughter in the bath. My husband still took showers with our girls until they were 4 or 5 and still does their hair if they need help (they are 10, 8 and 4 now). Heck, my father used to help them with their hair when we lived with him last year. My girls don't feel uncomfortable and neither does my husband so there is no issue.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Each child is different, and usually you will sense an uncomfortability, as you do in your daughter wanting to be "decent". Both of my sons were different - one at six wanted privacy, the other one at about seven or eight, and as long as they were washing from top to bottom and in all those cracks and crevices - they coud go it alone.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 1, 2011