Under the 'cry' of General Welfare, what if Congress made all Americans buy broccoli?

What if Congress pushed through mandates to make you buy broccoli for your own good? Please read and give your opinion on this article by 3 professors of health law at Boston University in the New England Journal of Medicine for December 22nd:

http://healthpolicyandreform.nejm.org/?p=13457

Thoughts?
(sorry, on phone~ can't make clicky)

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I hate the stuff . But I don't live in the US so I will be exempt.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I dont think its a good example. They can make people buy broccoli but Americans wouldnt have to eat it.

Answer by gemgem at 8:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Well, hmmm..... there is nothing in there that says that if you can not afford broccoli than you will be provided broccoli free of charge so I doubt it will fly with this administration ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

rolling on floorsidesplittinglaughter

Anonymous

• Yeah, this question makes no sense. it's a catchy headline but "can they force you to buy broccoli" is just a bad analogy. Why broccoli and not blueberries or brussel sprouts? Did you read the article? It's about government's roles and limitations in specific private industries.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• The health care questions are very difficult to answer. I've always thought that in order for a system that requires everyone to have health care insurance to work, they would need to regulate what insurance providers can reasonably charge and perhaps what health care providers, hospitals, etc could reasonably charge. The thing is that if there are no limits on what can be charged, the costs will and do go up, which will eventually put a lot of people in the "can't afford it" category (it already has, which is why a lot of people don't have health insurance). If a law is made stating that people HAVE to purchase something, then that thing needs to be made and kept affordable for the masses. As far as brocolli, no problem here, we purchase it all the time....our kids love their "trees"....LOL
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Let me see now, the Government is gonna make this 69 year old by broccoli. Not!! I like most veggies, but my family can tell you, this old lady, is not forced into anything. The Dictator of this country, does not dictate what this old Sarg. does. I was in the Military when he was a child.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 8:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• makes no sense. it's a catchy headline but "can they force you to buy broccoli" is just a bad analogy.

It is actually a very good analogy.

Give them time. If this holds up, IF progressives ever get back in power there will be more to come.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Even if they could make you buy it, they couldn't make you eat it.

Here's your clicky

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• The uniqueness argument, however, is not so easy to make — which is the fourth reason the question is hard. All people need food and water, but the government does not require people to buy insurance to pay for these necessities in case they can’t do so in the future. So the fact that everyone will need and voluntarily seek health services may not be sufficient to justify requiring people to obtain insurance.

from the article. I agree thoroughly.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2011