Does your baby hold his bottle?

My 11 month old DS doesnt hold his own bottle. How can I teach him to do that? Ive tried putting his hands on the bottle but he refuses to hold it. Heh pretty spoiled wants mommy to hold it for him :)

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 8:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you give him sippy cups with handles during the day? Start that, then he'll get the hang of it. But if it's just when you are putting him down for sleep, he just may like to snuggle.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:14 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Whenever I worked with a baby from 6-month up if you make them lie on their back they start to hold the bottle. looks like natural.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 8:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My daughter never held her own bottle...I used that time as bonding with her so there was no need...some babies are taught unfortunately to hold it at a very young age, and others never hold it, b/c mommy or daddy does it for them, which is a good thing. I don't think it's spoiled :) I think he just enjoys that time with mommy and knows that's how you are going to stay with him :) it goes by too fast. take advantage :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• lol. My best friends son NEVER held his own bottle. In fact he would have his hands behind his head while he was fed. Hence he nick name Prince Nolan.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• @adrennfaklya...that;s a good way to get ear infections....when you lay a baby on their back...also a good way to choke. dangerous.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My daughter never held her own bottle either. Feeding time was me or her father sitting down and holding her EVERY time. It was special cuddle time and I always enjoyed it. Call me crazy, but I also enjoyed rocking her to sleep every night until she wouldn't let me anymore (around 1 year). This time flies by and I was to take advantage of it all as much as I can.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• *I WANT
    BridgetC140

• Thank you girls! That makes so much sense! I will take advantage of this time and just snuggle with him and hold his bottle. I just thought that he was "suppose" to do it on his own at some point. He does hold a sippy cup.
    mercilove

Comment by mercilove (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• @calliesmommie....that's a bunch of bullspit doctors feed you. i know PLENTY of parents who do that and their kids never got ear infections. my oldest dd was breastfed for the first year of her life and got ear infections...i think if they're gonna get em, they're gonna get em. also, i doubt a 6 month old will choke on liquids...they're smarter than you think.
    cheribabii613

Answer by cheribabii613 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My youngest is 5 1/2 months and has been holding his own bottle for a week and now usually takes it on his own laying on the floor. He's my 5th and we did the same with all of our kids and we have never had an ear infection with any of them (except the oldest and she was 9 at the time and got it from swimming).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2011