How can i get my 15 month old to sleep in his own bed?

My son is 15 years old and still sleeps with us. We set his play pin up next to our bed so i can put him to sleep on our bed than move him to his. He wakes up in the and jumps out and onto our bed. My husband and i sleep uncomfortably all night and we don't ever have any cuddle time. He really needs to move to his own bed in his own room but i don't know how to let go or how to get him to sleep good in his bed.

JOHNNYSMOMMY23

Asked by JOHNNYSMOMMY23 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start by having the kid take naps in bed then try to lay him in bed with a toy read a book or night light.Good luck.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 8:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Well, first I'm sure you meant 15 months old but anyway I would take him to his room and sit quietly not talking with him but letting him know you are there until he falls asleep and then go out and enjoy yourself. If he wakes go back in and don't talk just let him know that you are there for him just keep doing that and he will learn to be in his bed soon
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I SOOO feel ya My 21/2 yr old thinks our bed is his bed... starts out in his bed and by about 3am is usually in with us
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I would advise the whole technique that on SuperNanny LOL Put him in his bed, sit there next to his bed until he is asleep. Each night move a foot away until he is comfortable in his room. Good Luck, my 2 yr old is in my bed every night, from the get go. But his dad is military and gone more than home, so it's not an issue. And when daddy is home, he sleeps in our son's bed....then I get a bed to myself. However I am waiting for my 15 month old to figure this out and add to the family bed too. And adding to that technique, when he gets out of bed you just return him to his bed and simply say "it's bed time", try not to yell or get aggitated, that feeds into it. In the middle of the night when he wakes, it's the same thing, sit there...this helps them feel secure. It's scary to be all alone as a baby....my hubby and I believe that a "family" bed promotes more positive things with a baby/toddler. It's temporary.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I just let them sleep with us. I really loved it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My son only slept in our room for the first couple weeks after coming home from the hospital. The issue is that this is normal to him, so he never got used to sleeping in a room by himself. I would start off by making sure that his room has a night light...then i would make him sleep in his room with you on the floor or on an air mattress. Get him used to sleeping alone in his BED before making him get used to sleeping alone in his room as a whole. This is scary for much older children, let alone a little one.

I don't know how true it is or if it is just opionion, but I have heard that letting them sleep with you is bad for them as to mental development.

No matter what you choose or prefer, I wish you luck. :)
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2011