Where did he learn this? adult content

So my son was just playing in his room and he called his sister the "n" word. My kids are mixed (their dad is black) and I have NEVER used that word.
I asked him where he heard it and he said "daycare".

They don't spend time with their dad so I know they didn't hear it from him.
I'm from a really small town with not too many different races and I'm pretty livid.

What do I do now?

( I have no idea what category to put this in...sorry).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Let your child know your feelings about using "bad" words. Then talk to your daycare provider.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 8:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• talk to the daycare people. if he learned it from daycare, them im sure some of the employees have heard other children say it.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I agree speak with your son and the daycare. I would try to narrow down if it was a child or an adult who they heard it from.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• What kind of music do yall listen too?
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• We listen to like the light music station sometimes pop music but never rap or anything like that that has bad language. And as far as movies and TV goes it stays G rated. Once in awhile PG if we watch a superhero movie. My kids are only 5 and 3 so it's not like they listen to music or watch TV anywhere else than with me.

My main thing is I didn't want to make a huge deal about it with my son and than have him use it cuz it got such a reaction out of me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• For starters, I would tell him that you don't want to hear him say that word anymore. Just make the daycare aware that he's heard it from somewhere and you would appreciate it if they make sure it's not mentioned while he's there.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Do what you'd do if he said any other offensive word. My daughter recently started saying "oh shit!" so I know the feeling. Explain that it's an impolite word that isn't very nice to say. Don't make a big deal about it at all.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 8:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Explain to him why it is wrong and why he shouldn't say it. Finding the culprit is to no effect, this he will deal with throughout his life.

Answer by older at 11:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• i would talk to your kids about using that word and say its not appropriate and I would talk to his daycare provider. THATS UNACCEPTABLE!

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would tell them to never use that work and then speak with the daycare provider about that language being used there. Find out who said it and see if it was the staff or another child. If it was another child I would speak to their parents
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2011