How do I get my 16 going on 17 year old son to be more respectful towards me?

Here lately everything is a constant battle.
We had a great relationship up until recently ...now for some reason he treats me with complete disrespect as if I am beneath him.
It's to the point that I can't stand to be around him.
What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Kill him with kindness that is what I do to my seventeen year old daughter who is this way towards me. I talk to her every day when she comes in after school. I say "hi honey" in my sweetest voice. I found when I am mean back then she gets grumpier.
    From what I understand they will be fine some where between 25-30 years old.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• just breath...stay calm at all times. I agree kill them with kindness and continue to share your wisdom on how it makes you feel or the proper way to treat someone. Soon they will be coming to you for advice on problem solving. Stay consistent like you would with a 2 yr old. I have found when I just stay quiet and listen that some of that grumpiness is his reaction to all the pure pressure of friends and school and life..so when I take it with a grain of salt and let him release but with boundries he has been a little more sharing and realizing he is being a jerk and apologizes. Find an adult that you look up too and do your best to hold on an mirror that person and how they react. ????
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I would sit him down and ask him what his problem is. Chances r he is having a problem. Boys and girls r different,the kill them with kindness works on girls not boys,unless u r a t.v. show.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2011