calling all breastfeeders!

I am a breastfeeding mom. I have a recurring situation with my left breast. It is very tender and painful and hard (all the way up to the nipple) and backed up, but the milk will not drain out of it. I will get like one ounce out when I pump. I have tried a hot compress and it has yet to work. Do you know what this is and how to treat it faster? when I had it before it finally drained after a few days.

snoober_k

Asked by snoober_k at 12:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this is gonna sound strange but when i had that problem my friend told me to have sex and then jump in the shower with hot water and try to drawn it then... it really worked for me.... Its because when u have sex it relaxes u and those mussels,,,, also this sound funny but play with ur breast... kinda like what u do when u do a breast cancer test.... it helps relax thos glads... i know it is very pain full... it hurt me so badly when it happened
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 12:14 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Do you have breastfeeding clinics where you are? You might need to see a nurse that specializes in this to see, it could be an infection. Or Le Leache (spelling?) League? If you call them in your area they could help you out? One of my friends had an infection, and sounds like you are describing, but the only way to get a handle on it is to see someone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Definitely massage it. I dont BF anymore, but I did, and when I got sore and hard like you are describing I would massage a little and then pump some, then massage a little and pump some. It really does help, and so does the hot shower.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:26 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Sounds like a clogged duct. Nurse nurse nurse on that side. If you do not have a fever it is not an infection.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Sounds like a clogged duct, which may possibly lead to mastitis.
    Continue pumping and nursing on that side..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I've had this happen a few times, but it has always gone away by the following morning. What works for me: drink a couple of big glasses of water, nurse from that side (position baby's head so it massages the lump, if possible), keep draining it (use a pump after nursing), apply warm compresses or heat pads, massage it while in the shower. Sex is not a bad idea, either, maybe it will help! I did all of the things I said above, then went to sleep with a heating pad firmly against it. Each time, it was gone when I woke up! Hmmm...maybe it was the nap!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• If it is a blocked duct you would notice redness and possibly a small streaking. My breastfeeding specialists told me it would be ok to have a small glass of wine to help relax things and then just pump. I don't mean the whole bottle, just a small 2-3 oz., pump and just give your body time to return to a prewine state before putting babe to boob. the other suggestion was to change the position of the baby nursing. ie..the football hold with baby's feet under the arm on the side you are nursing.
    Good luck-It can be very uncomfortable. Don't wait too long to call your doctor though. You don't want to run the risk of infection or drying up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• stand in the shower and try to express it,sqeeze it out
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• For the record, I never had any visible signs of this--you don't always have every symptom!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2008