Family activity with teen???

Can you please Moms,, help - what kind of family activities that would be good for me, my husband and my only son 14 yr-old?
I wonder since teens these days are really into computer/video games; my son can play those games the whole day, morning to night (on vacation) if we allow him to; which of course I hate it. I understand that's the nature of being teen - not into communicating with us; not interested of whatever happen at home; he will do chores but we have to keep remind him since he is so busy with his games. If possible, I really wanted to throw all his games!!! (which is not going to happen, of course...)

Is there anything I can do to make him interested on doing things with us parents?

What do you do to your teens?
What kind of activities do you have?
Is there any club for teen that can help teen socialize and communicate better- because I felt if I keep nagging him to remind him to do this and that I'm afraid it won't help.
Some kid will listen to others in some case; don't you think?

Thank you!!!

HOPE8818

Asked by HOPE8818 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Find a church with a good youth group. Teens need at least 1 hour of exercise a day so ask if he will shoot some hoops with you or walk up to the store and buy ice cream with just you. Go shopping together. Go out to eat. Go see a movie. The video games are ok if he is socializing online with other people, just give him limits. Let him have some friends over for movies or gaming and pizza that way you get to know his friends.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My boys liked to go bowling, swimming, and in the winter we would go sleigh riding. Sometimes just getting out of the house and people watching is fun to.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 9:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Card games, board games, sporting events, sports-basketball, catch with baseball, football, frisbee, skiing, snowshoeing, bowling, swimming, campinkg, hiking, fishing, boating, canoeing, kayaking, car rides, coffee shop, walks, sitting and talking around camp fire/bonfire.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I actually disagree with the premise: teens=separated from family. It is an entirely modern, Western 'reality' that is unheard of throughout history and in most of the world.

Go skiing, golfing, bowling, for a walk, or a run. Go to a museum or 5. Go seek out the local live-action gaming in your area --either the dungeons and dragons or LARPing or both... Magic the Gathering, Masquerade... you never know, you might even enjoy joining in. Lots of the people are 14yo boys... and lots are 45yo men and women.

Or you could ask what he might like to do and see if he has any ideas.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:56 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Okay, this is kinda of a tough one for me to answer cause my 13 yr old daughter is the same way, with the exception of the video games.... But i know how you feel cause her father makes me wanna hide all his games and play dumb when he ask me have i seen them..... lol..... My suggestion is to do the same thing imma about to start back doing which is pray and pray a lot....... Some games y'all can play together is gestures, monoply and card games always do the trick for us..... they are playing uno right now as i type........ Be blessed and happy new year!!!!!!!!
    blessedmama003

Answer by blessedmama003 at 12:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• When my sons were teens every week we had 1 day a week where we played board games after supper, 2-3 times a month we watched a rented movie together & every weekend we went out to either a movie, to play Putt Putt golf, to an arcade or to race go-carts. My sons are now adults & love family time. My 24yo lives 2 blocks away, my 22yo is in another state (hoping to move back by the end of the year), my 20yo is in the Army & my 19yo is in college. My 24yo comes over 1-2x's a week for supper and to play games & once a month he goes with us to see a movie. My 19yo is 1 1/2 hour away at school and during football season we took him out to eat ever Sunday after the football game and now that fb season is over we go to PA 2x's a month & take him out to eat or to a movie and 2x's a month he comes home & we go to a movie. Our 20yo was home on leave for 2 weeks and we saw 5 movies, went out to eat a few times & played Kinect bowling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• One thing we found works is that they get limited time with electronics-2 hours a day. We plan active things like boating, fishing off the dock, going to ball games. They go surfing with friends. We do board games in bad weather, or watch movies together, play Wii. We encourage a good attitude by allowing another hour of electronics just before bedtime,If they've had a good attitude and have participated in other activities during the day. They have to ask permission for it. Many times, they get involved in something else, and don't use it. We also don't ever mention that hour, we don't hold it over their head, or mention it when they're having a bad attitude. So they pretty much know whether or not to ask at the end of the day. It works well for us.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:14 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Thank you!! I am going to try this,,, and realized if we want him to do things other than games, then I have to have some activities plan to offer...
    HOPE8818

Comment by HOPE8818 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2011