the good touch bad touch talk adult content

as sad as it is to say but in my family there is a rapist who was convicted but he was released from prison years ago and there are child molesters in my family. one of the molesters in my family is an uncle of mine and he molested my mother when she was little an aunt a lot of cousins including his own children and myself. Because of my background with my family i want to talk to my son about good touch bad touch. he doesn't have an contact with those people in my family but i feel we should still talk about it. So at what age should i talk to him about it? I bought a rag that i have in my room so when i talk to him about this i can show him what a good touch is and what a bad touch is and if for some reason if someone was to do something like that he could show me on the doll what was done to him. so what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• START NOW! Immediately! My daughter is 3 now, and almost a year ago, we found out her father was molesting her. We only found out because I had given that talk to my daughter. I started when she was too young to understand, and if I hadn't, I fear it would have gone on for many more years. IT IS NEVER TOO EARLY TO PREPARE YOUR CHILD!!!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 9:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I talked to my 5 year old about it and let her know that if somebody makes her feel unconfortable in any way, to leave the room and talk to me.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 9:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Another great tool is a book called " the right touch" check it out my father read it to me and my sister used it with her kids
    mjandkrMommy

Answer by mjandkrMommy at 9:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• He is 4 years old and we have been having this ongoing conversation along with the sex talk for years.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Start now, it is never too early. My sons pediatrciain talks to the kids starting at about 2 years old about who is allowed to touch privates and who isn't. A doctor can only look or touch if mom or dad is in the room and only to make sure nothing is wrong. There are tons of books out there to help the converstation and to be age appropriate.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My DD was 3 when i started and I talk to her about it a lot just to remind her about it that no one is allowed to touch her down there.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• This is something we have been wondering about too....My stepdaughter's mother tried to explain good touch bad touch to her at two during potty training and did a HORRIBLE job at it...she thought anyone who helped wipe her was doing a bad touch - - - luckily she grew out of that and hasn't talked anymore about it but I do think that it is important to talk to her about because she is now 4 1/2 and when she stays with her mother she sleeps in bed with any and all family members at night including Grandpa :-\ When she is here at home she is not allowed to sleep in our room and we do not sleep in her room, if she wakes up we lay in the hall outside of her door until she falls back asleep - there has been too many false accusations in the past so we are VERY VERY careful with her which is all the more reason for her to know what is good and bad. But she has also just recently discovered lying and does it to please others :-\
    NessGuinness

Answer by NessGuinness at 12:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I THINK NOW BECAUSE AT YOUNG AGES LIKE 2 OR 3 OR EVENOLDER IS HOW OLD FRIENDS OF MINE WERE WHEN THEY WERE MOLESTED. I WAS AND DONT REMEMBER BY WHO BECAUSE I NEVER TOLD AND MY MOM NEVER HAD THAT TALK WITH ME. IT ALSO HAPPENED AGAIN AROUND 13 WHEN I SLEPT AT A FRIENDS HOUSE HER DAD MOLESTED ME AND WHEN I CONFRONTED HIM HE TOLD ME THAT I MUST OF BEEN HAVING A NIGHTMARE
    19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 2:22 AM on Jan. 2, 2011