When should toddlers/preschoolers start drawing actual pictures instead of just scribbles?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• By age 5 they should be able to. My DD is 4 and she is starting to draw stick people LOL
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:01 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Depends on the child. My oldest started doing it pretty early. My 5 year old has been drawing potato people for a while. His drawings are starting to get clearer now, and he is just starting to add words.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• my daughter just started in the past few months drawing pictures and she just turned 4 but my son started drawing things that we could make out much earlier by about 2 1/2
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• It depends on the child and their artistic abilities. I am 39 and still can't draw very well and I come from a grandfather that was an artist and a brother that can draw amazingly well. My 6 yr old niece has been able to draw since she was about 3.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Every kid is different. I have 2 that were really interested in drawing. My oldest was about 3 1/2 when I noticed her drawing people and scenes. The other is my youngest daughter and I watched her at 2 1/2 draw a stick person complete with face, arms and legs (no body, though). She was also coloring in the lines at 2 1/2. She's 4 1/2 now and just loves to draw.
    My son was never interested in it and didn't start until he was about 4 1/2. My middle daughter had issues with holding pencils/crayons so didn't develop the skill or interest until she was around 5-5 1/2. She's 8 now and loves to draw and is pretty good.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• really depends on how much the child is exposed to drawing and on the child themself. I know my brother and I drew alot as kids and by 4 he was drawing very detailed pictures.....though alot of kids I babysat- 4 and 5 year olds- had a very difficult job drawing any real pictures, constantly askingme to draw something for them....so it all really depends
    stephanieplante

Answer by stephanieplante at 10:07 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• my son will be 5 in feb and is just starting to draw things that are recognizable. I think it just depends on the kids and if drawling actually draws thier attentions. My son was never really into art stuff until he got is pre k and is now loving it.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• my son is 14 and still scribbles my daughter was around 2 wen we could tell what she was drawing. Everybody's small muscle control is a little different but by 4 you should see some progress.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 5:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2011