Is it normal for a 2.5 y o to ask questions they know the answer to?

I am just curious if anyone knows if this is a normal part of development or if this is just my own child's new thing? She mostly asks what things are or what they are called, when I know she knows. Sometimes I ask her back and she tells me, and other times I just tell her. I was just curious if other kids do this too. Sometime I wonder if she is just trying to make conversation in her 2 y o way, to see if I will be consistent or if she is trying to remember what it is.

christinab313

Asked by christinab313 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My younger sister used to do it to me. My Mom told me she just wants to be sure, so tell her again.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 10:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• This makes me laugh! You don't think kids are smart? She is checking to make sure that you answer the same way each time. It's her way of establishing security. Very intelligent... HUH?!! Love kids!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• M-avi- actually that thought exactly was what prompted me to ask the question. Amazing stuff watching kids discover the world.
    christinab313

Comment by christinab313 (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My 4 yr old still does that sometimes.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Ya gotta love them! They are so much smarter than we think....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:46 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Wait until she starts correcting you...my son went through that phase and now, since he thinks he knows EVERYTHING, he corrects me. "That's a tractor." Then, "No mommy, that's not a tractor, it's a BACKHOE." lol
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 1:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Oh God, unfortunately yes. I love the fact that she's so smart, but she asks over and over and over and over again to make sure she keeps getting the same answer.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 4:23 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• oh yes! My dd does this, all...the... time! Idk I guess she just wants to start a convo- but she has sone that but in other ways. idk- guess its just a phase.
    jadeeyes07

Answer by jadeeyes07 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2011