Should there be a reason for concern?

My husband has a 6 year old little girl from a previous relationship... Over the weekend we finally got to see the little girl. She drew a picture of the sun, grass, trees, her dad (my husband), me, herself, our little girl (her half sister) & her half sister from her mothers current marriage. I asked her I said well why don't you put your mommy in this picture? She said, no mommy is mean to me. So she didn't draw her mother or her step-father in the picture at all. Is this a reason for concern??? I asked her if i could have the picture to take home with us, I didn't want her mom to see it because I thought she might get upset that she put everybody but her and the step-dad in there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's always a concern when the child says things like Mommy is mean and doesn't draw her in pictures you should be proud of your mommy and want to draw pictures of her in them.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Then, what should we do? She told my husband which is her dad, that her mother was mean to her also but she never said why. We don't have any custody, long story.... I'm just worried.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think I would keep a closer eye out for little thingss from now on but it may be something as little as she wasnt allowed to do something that she wanted right before she came to see you and was still mad about it. Maybe talk to your husband as well to see if he has noticed anything to be concerned about. If someone does talk to the mom it should probably be him.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I agree with foxracing, it could be something so just watch out for it but by no means should you jump into any acusations.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Maybe she's treated different than her half-sister from her mother's current marriage. Your husband should try to keep and eye out and see her more than he does. I'm not saying I'm right or anything, but just keep an eye on it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think their feelings may vary in every moment in that age.
    Maybe she was mad at her mom just before she left her home and she's acting thiw way.
    But she may behave in different way other days.

You should observe her feelings different times, different days to determine if your concern is right.
    dalemas

Answer by dalemas at 2:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• id just keep an eye out. my son 5 tells me he hates me when i tell him he has to pee on the toilet, so it could be something simple as she got in trouble for doing something shes not supposed to. he tells me hates this house when hes in trouble for doing things hes not supposed to. so unless she tells you otherwise, i wouldn't read to much into it. but keep asking her. tell her you can't help her unless she tells how they are mean to her. good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 6:52 AM on Jan. 3, 2011